About This Chapter
Cell Growth & Differentiation - Chapter Summary
If you are in need of a little or a lot of help understanding cell growth and differentiation, this chapter offers the assistance you desire. Lessons help you easily comprehend topics that include embryonic stage development, adult stem cells and genetic predisposition. Once you've finished this chapter, you should be ready to do the following:
- Describe the uses, origins, and properties of embryonic and adult stem cells
- Explain the process and importance of cell differentiation
- Define and discuss the concept of embryonic stage development
- Share the meaning of genetic predisposition
- Discuss the causes of mutation and DNA damage
Enjoy the ability to access the lessons in this chapter as engaging videos or full transcripts. Videos are great for individuals who like learning with help from fun visual effects, and the full transcripts help individuals who like to read their learning materials or want to print the lessons to review at a later time. All lessons are accompanied by mini quizzes designed to assess your comprehension of the topics they cover. Get a broader review of the lessons by taking this chapter's practice exam.
1. Embryonic and Adult Stem Cells: Uses, Origins & Properties
How can we grow a brand new windpipe? Or a heart? In this lesson, we'll learn about embryonic and adult stem cells and how scientists are using them to give people a new lease on life.
2. What Is Cell Differentiation? - Process, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how your cells become specialized. This specialization of cells allows them to perform different functions and create different parts of your body.
3. Embryonic Stage Development: Definition & Concept
There are three basic stages of mammalian gestation: germinal, embryonic, and fetal. This lesson focuses on embryonic development and the stages of growth between implantation and the point when an embryo becomes a fetus.
4. Genetic Predisposition: Definition & Explanation
To be genetically predisposed to anything can be scary, but are there other factors that make you more or less susceptible to the condition? Find out as we discuss biological and behavioral issues as they relate to nature and nurture.
5. Causes of Mutation and DNA Damage- Mutagens
Mutations, or changes in DNA sequences, are incredibly important in biology, from evolution and diversity to cancer and genetic diseases. But how do mutations happen? In this lesson, you'll learn about mutagens, which are chemicals that can cause mutations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards