About This Chapter
Cell Growth & Division - Chapter Summary
If you are looking to enhance your understanding of mitosis, the cell cycle, sexual reproduction and more, this chapter can help! Examine these and other related science concepts by reviewing short video and text lessons. Each lesson covers a unique topic to ensure you comprehend cell growth and division. When finished, you will be able to:
- Describe various states of the cell cycle
- Discuss the mitotic spindle and phases of chromosome segregation
- Explain differences between how plant cells and animal cells split in two
- Share the intracellular and extracellular factors that regulate cell division
- Differentiate between asexual and sexual reproduction
- Define cell differentiation, and discuss its importance
As you review the lessons in this chapter, take advantage of additional resources that help you to fully understand cell growth and division. When reviewing videos, utilize clickable timelines that enable to you revisit topics without watching lessons in full. Also, take advantage of the ability to submit questions about lesson topics to experts with a wealth of biology knowledge. Test your understanding by taking short multiple-choice quizzes. A chapter exam is also available to help reinforce lesson concepts.
1. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
2. Mitotic Spindle: Definition, Formation & Function
Condensation makes DNA ready / And microtubules hold it steady / A microtubule's a fancy rope / To move the DNA is the hope / From spindle poles they do extend / To align each chromosome in the end
3. Stages of Mitosis: Description & Sequence
Let's take a second look at mitosis and focus on the phases of chromosome segregation. As we concentrate on chromosomes, you'll learn the tricky dance that takes place through all five phases of mitosis.
4. Cytokinesis: Animal Versus Plant Cells
What's a cell to do when it must divide in two? We'll explore cytokinesis and see how the process can differ in important ways when it comes to plant versus animal cells.
5. Internal & External Factors that Regulate Cell Division
Cells can be incredibly active, carrying out processes like growth and division. To coordinate these activities, the cell uses a range of intracellular and extracellular factors.
6. Asexual vs. Sexual Reproduction: Comparison & Characteristics
Did you know that some organisms can reproduce without a mate? Check out this video lesson on asexual versus sexual reproduction to discover the different ways organisms can reproduce and the main differences between mitosis and meiosis.
7. What Is Cell Differentiation? - Process, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how your cells become specialized. This specialization of cells allows them to perform different functions and create different parts of your body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest II (214): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Intro to Properties of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Solutions & Mixtures in Chemistry
- Mechanics, Force & Motion
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- Intro to Waves, Sound & Light
- Energy Conservation & Earth's Resources
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Structure & Function of Human Body Systems
- Plant Biology
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant & Animal Life Cycles
- Principles of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Orbits & Rotations of Celestial Bodies
- Galaxies, Stars and Solar Systems
- Properties of Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building
- Landforms, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Meteorology & Climate Basics
- The Earth's Water
- Planning & Conducting Scientific Investigations
- Basic Arithmetic Review
- Number Sense & Theory
- Performing Operations with Exponents
- Relations & Functions
- Ratios & Proportional Reasoning
- Graphing & Solving Inequalities
- Creating & Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Graphing Equations
- Operations with Polynomials
- Solving & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- 2D & 3D Geometric Figures
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- Geometric Measurement
- Data & Surveys in Statistics
- Interpreting Data from Tables & Graphs
- Chance & Probability
- Problem Solving & Mathematical Reasoning
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 Flashcards