About This Chapter
Cell Size, Structure & Function - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll take an in-depth look at the organelles inside a cell and examine how to describe the volume, surface area and scale of cells. You'll also look at the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells and find out whether or not bacteria have organelles. By the time you've completed this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss biology as the study of living things
- Explain what cells are
- Compare and contrast prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
- Examine the structure and function of the cell
- Describe the scale and size of cells with regard to volume, organelles and surface area
- Identify the definition and functions of organelles and whether or not they're present in bacteria
- Use microscopes and micrographs to identify organelles
This comprehensive study guide uses text and video lessons that are interesting and informative despite their short length. Lesson quizzes and a test at the end of the chapter allow you to check your retention of the material, and our experts are here to help you with any questions you might have. The Dashboard keeps you organized and on track, and the readily-accessible online platform allows you to work from any device and in any location that provides access to the Internet.
1. Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic Cells: Similarities and Differences
In this lesson, we discuss the similarities and differences between the eukaryotic cells of your body and prokaryotic cells such as bacteria. Eukaryotes organize different functions within specialized membrane-bound compartments called organelles. These structures do not exist in prokaryotes.
2. The Cell: Structure & Function
The cell is a small, but complex structure. Take a look inside the outer plasma membrane of a cell and discover the functions of some common cellular components, including the nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus and mitochondria, in this lesson.
3. Cell Size & Scale: Surface Area, Volume Ratio & Organelles
In this lesson, we'll be explaining the limitations of cell size, specifically the surface area to volume ratio. Then, we'll look at organelles that help cells overcome these limitations.
4. Organelles in Cells: Definition & Functions
This lesson will focus on the major organelles that are found inside eukaryotic cells. It will discuss their structures and functions. The differences in organelles found in plant and animal cells will also be covered.
5. Do Bacteria Cells Have Organelles?
Bacteria are inside of you, but what is inside of them? This lesson discusses the internal structure of bacteria and whether or not they have organelles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards