About This Chapter
CEOE Advanced Math: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter can prepare you for some questions on the CEOE Advanced Math exam. Use them to explore exponential and logarithmic functions, including exponential growth and decay, the transformation of exponential functions, and logarithmic evaluation. Also covered are the process of writing the inverse of logarithmic functions, the natural log, and shifted and basic graphs of logarithmic functions. Additionally, by the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- Logarithmic properties
- Introduction to exponential and logarithmic equations
- How to solve exponential and logarithmic equations
- How to calculate rate and exponential growth
- Logarithmic and exponential functions: behaviors
The short, engaging video lessons in this chapter make the material fun and interesting, and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have about exponential or logarithmic functions. Self-assessment quizzes ensure you understand and retain each lesson. Use the jump feature under the Timeline tab to skip directly to main subjects in the video lessons.
CEOE Advanced Math - Exponential and Logarithmic Functions Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Advanced Mathematics exam measures a student's knowledge of subject matter in accordance with Oklahoma educator licensure regulations. The exam measures mathematical processes and number sense; relations functions, and algebra; measurement and geometry; trigonometry and calculus; and probability, statistics, and discrete mathematics. The material covered in this Exponential and Logarithmic Functions chapter is tested in the relations, functions, and algebra portion of the CEOE exam, which comprises about 12% of the entire test. The exam includes approximately 80 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. Transformation of Exponential Functions: Examples & Summary
All exponential functions follow a basic graph. But when you make changes to the function, you will see the graph shift and make changes. Watch this video lesson to learn how to easily identify these changes or transformations.
4. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
5. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
6. Writing the Inverse of Logarithmic Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how inverses are related to the original function. Also learn a method to find the inverse of logarithmic functions that you can easily use.
7. Exponentials, Logarithms & the Natural Log
Use the properties of exponentials and logarithms to learn how carbon dating works. This lesson covers properties of a natural log and rules of logarithms.
8. Basic Graphs & Shifted Graphs of Logarithmic Functions: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson and you will see what the basic graph of the logarithmic function looks like. You will also be able to identify the kind of shifts that will occur by just looking at a logarithmic function when you finish the video.
9. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
10. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
11. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
12. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
13. Calculating Rate and Exponential Growth: The Population Dynamics Problem
You know how the world population keeps increasing? It's increasing faster now than it was 100 or 1,000 years ago. In this lesson, learn how differential equations predict this type of exponential growth.
14. Behavior of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to recognize exponential and logarithmic functions by looking at the end behavior of the graphs. You will also learn how the graphs change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Advanced Mathematics (CEOE) (111): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Advanced Math: Mathematical Reasoning & Ideas
- CEOE Advanced Math: Origins of Math
- CEOE Advanced Math: Absolute Value
- CEOE Advanced Math: Inequalities
- CEOE Advanced Math: Integers
- CEOE Advanced Math: Operations with Fractions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Operations with Decimals
- CEOE Advanced Math: Percents
- CEOE Advanced Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- CEOE Advanced Math: Complex Numbers
- CEOE Advanced Math: Properties of Numbers
- CEOE Advanced Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Number Theory
- CEOE Advanced Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- CEOE Advanced Math: Properties of Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Graphing Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: The Coordinate Graph & Graph Symmetry
- CEOE Advanced Math: Linear Equations
- CEOE Advanced Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- CEOE Advanced Math: Quadratic Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- CEOE Advanced Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Rational Expressions & Function Graphs
- CEOE Advanced Math: Measurement
- CEOE Advanced Math: Perimeter & Area
- CEOE Advanced Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- CEOE Advanced Math: Properties of Lines
- CEOE Advanced Math: Angles
- CEOE Advanced Math: Triangles
- CEOE Advanced Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- CEOE Advanced Math: Similar Polygons
- CEOE Advanced Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- CEOE Advanced Math: Circles
- CEOE Advanced Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- CEOE Advanced Math: Transformations
- CEOE Advanced Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- CEOE Advanced Math: Trigonometric Functions
- CEOE Advanced Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- CEOE Advanced Math: Trigonometric Applications
- CEOE Advanced Math: Limits
- CEOE Advanced Math: Continuity
- CEOE Advanced Math: Rate of Change
- CEOE Advanced Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- CEOE Advanced Math: Graphing & Applying Derivatives
- CEOE Advanced Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- CEOE Advanced Math: Integration Techniques
- CEOE Advanced Math: Differential Equations
- CEOE Advanced Math: Data & Graphs
- CEOE Advanced Math: Samples & Populations
- CEOE Advanced Math: Probability
- CEOE Advanced Math: Sets
- CEOE Advanced Math: Statistics
- CEOE Advanced Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- CEOE Advanced Math: Number Patterns & Series
- CEOE Advanced Math: Discrete Math
- OSAT Advanced Mathematics (CEOE) (111) Flashcards