About This Chapter
CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Family Systems - Chapter Summary
Enhance and refresh your knowledge of social programs for children and families in these short video lessons. You will find the following material:
- Benefits, assessment and advocacy for early childhood programs
- Code of ethical conduct for teachers
- Types of family systems
- Role of social issues in child development
- Working with culturally-diverse families
- Role of the family in school-related activities
Each of our video lessons is accompanied by a fully-transcribed written version that contains highlighted key terminology for convenience in review and referral. Links in the lesson quizzes can take you back to specific points in the videos, and the timeline feature enables you to move directly to those sections of a lesson that you want to study or review.
CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Family Systems Chapter Objectives
A requisite part of the Oklahoma teacher certification and endorsement process, the CEOE Early Childhood Education exam is a competency-based, criterion-referenced test consisting of 80 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response assignment. Our Social & Family Systems chapter addresses Subarea IV: Professional Knowledge and Responsibilities. Subarea IV is weighted at 12% of the exam. You can get practice answering these types of questions through the short quizzes that follow each of our lessons.
The CEOE Early Childhood Education test is a computer-based exam. The constructed response question may address competencies in Subareas I - IV. Your response should be between 300 and 600 words in length.
1. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
2. Evaluating Early Childhood Education Programs
How do parents select an early childhood education program for their children? This lesson will discuss early childhood education programs and the standards that can be used to evaluate them.
3. Code of Ethical Conduct in the Teaching Profession
Many professions recognize set standards for moral conduct. This lesson examines the code of ethical conduct in the teaching profession and the importance of adhering to that code.
4. Family Systems: Definition and Types
Families come in all shapes and sizes. In this lesson, we'll examine what makes a family, as well as some common types of families, including nuclear, matrifocal, extended, and blended families.
5. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
6. Communicating with Families of Diverse Backgrounds
In this lesson, we'll learn about interacting with families of diverse backgrounds. We'll explore the challenges and rewards involved in this process, and we'll highlight tips that aid in the communication process.
7. The Importance of Family Involvement in School Activities
With everyone's busy schedules, involving families in school activities can often be a challenge. However, with the effort comes a host of benefits. This lesson details several of those benefits that come with family involvement.
8. Advocacy for Early Childhood Programs & Services
In this lesson, we'll discuss how to effectively advocate for services to help families with young children adjust to change and transitions, the development of quality education programs for young children, and the health, living, and working conditions of young children and their families.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundations of Education: Help and Review course
- History of Education in the United States: Help and Review
- Pioneers of Education: Help and Review
- Psychology's Impact on Education: Help and Review
- Major Philosophies of Education: Help and Review
- Education Court Cases & Legislation: Help & Review
- School and System Governance: Help and Review
- Special and Inclusive Education: Help and Review
- National Professional Organizations in Education: Help and Review
- Partnerships to Support Learning
- Health & Safety for Young Children
- Reading Development & Teaching Strategies
- Foundations of Teaching Science
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Language Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Language & Literacy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Writing Instruction
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognitive Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognition & Memory
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Diversity in the Classroom
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Motivating Students
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Instructional Pedagogy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Basic Math & Problem Solving
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social Studies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Foundations of Science
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Arts Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Health & Physical Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Moral Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Socialization Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Resources & Technology
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: History of Education in the U.S.
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Major Philosophies of Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Professional Organizations
- Phonemic Awareness in Early Childhood Education
- Print Concepts in Early Childhood Education
- Building Spelling Skills in Early Childhood
- Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
- Word Identification Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education
- Applying Reading Skills in Early Childhood Education
- Earth & Space Science: Early Childhood Education
- Life Science in Early Childhood Education
- Physical Science in Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Science in Early Childhood Education
- Science Education Strategies for Early Childhood
- Geography Tools: Overview & Concepts
- Protecting Personal Safety
- Early Childhood Physical Development
- Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Planning for Instruction: Classroom Strategies
- Assessments in Childhood Education
- Individualized Education Plans