About This Chapter
CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Reading Comprehension- Chapter Summary
When you use these lessons, you have the chance to review material about important reading concepts. Taught by experienced instructors, these engaging videos will clearly present the following topics to you:
- Developing reading habits
- Drawing conclusions and making predictions from reading selections
- Comparing reading passage ideas to other situations
- Identifying the sequence of events
- Understanding cause and effect structure
- Arranging ideas and organization of reading selections or outline
- Organizing a classroom library
- Teaching reading
At the end of each video lesson, you will find self-assessment quizzes that test your knowledge of the material. If at any point you are stuck, you can ask the instructors questions and they can clarify the information for you. Mastering everything will give you the confidence you need when you take the CEOE Early Childhood Education exam.
CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Reading Comprehension Objectives
The CEOE Early Childhood Ed exam is made up of three subareas. The first subarea, Language and Literacy Development, contains competency 005 which tests teachers on reading comprehension. If you plan on teaching students at the Early Childhood level, you must pass this exam, including its reading comprehension portion. The reading comprehension questions makes up roughly 14% of the first subarea, which has seven sections and an overall test percentage of 25%. The questions are in multiple-choice form, and they focus on topics that are similar to those contained within each lesson.
1. Strategies for Developing Students' Learning & Reading Habits
Ever finished reading and couldn't remember what you had just read? Many students experience this, too. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies to help your students develop healthy reading habits.
2. How to Apply Ideas from a Reading Selection to Other Situations
Applying what we learn from books to other situations in life helps us grow and improve. This lesson demonstrates how to apply ideas from a text to other situations and how to teach this important skill to readers.
3. Drawing Conclusions from a Reading Selection
When someone drops hints, we're able to draw conclusions about what they're really trying to say. Similarly, as readers, we use clues to draw conclusions from texts. This lesson explains how to draw conclusions and how to teach this important skill.
4. How to Make Predictions Based on Information from a Reading Selection
Making predictions when reading is an important reading comprehension strategy. In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important and how to model and practice it.
5. Determining the Sequence of Events or Steps in a Reading Selection
News articles or other types of informational texts can be structured through a sequence of events or steps. In this lesson, we will examine how that is done and how to identify this structure.
6. How to Find Cause and Effect in a Reading Selection
Cause and effect structures can be used to describe how an action takes place. This lesson will discuss how to find this structure within a reading selection.
7. Identifying the Organization in a Reading Selection
Nonfiction texts can be organized in a variety of ways. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to identify which organizational structure is being used in a reading selection.
8. How to Arrange Ideas in a Reading Selection in an Outline
Organizing ideas presented in a reading selection can seem like a tricky task. But, in this lesson, we'll discuss how to do this effectively and why it is an important skill to master.
9. Setting Up a Classroom Library: Organization & Ideas
All classrooms have different needs, and having a classroom library can be a great way to reach all your students. Watch this video lesson to learn how to set up an effective classroom library.
10. How to Teach Reading: Planning and Execution
Feeling overwhelmed with the immensity of teaching reading comprehension? Watch this video lesson to learn four easy steps to plan and execute reading lessons.
11. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Early Childhood Education (CEOE) (105): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Language Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Language & Literacy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Writing Instruction
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognitive Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognition & Memory
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Diversity in the Classroom
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Motivating Students
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Instructional Pedagogy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Basic Math & Problem Solving
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social Studies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Foundations of Science
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Arts Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Health & Physical Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Moral Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Socialization Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Resources & Technology
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: History of Education in the U.S.
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Major Philosophies of Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Family Systems
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Professional Organizations
- OSAT Early Childhood Education (CEOE) (105) Flashcards