About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a comprehensive overview of atmosphere to help you answer related questions on the CEOE Earth Science assessment. After reviewing the lessons, you will be prepared to:
- Describe the structure of the atmosphere
- Identify the major components of the atmosphere
- Explain the general circulation of the atmosphere
- Provide details about temperature, clouds, wind and humidity on the atmospheric cycle
- List factors that affect wind
- Discuss mechanisms of heat transfer
- Define and explain the effects of solar radiation
It's not always easy to know what information to compile when studying for a certification test. This chapter does the hard work for you, pulling together study materials and presenting them in an engaging package that makes preparing for the test fun.
1. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
2. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
3. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
4. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
5. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
6. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
7. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards