About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to get ready for the CEOE Earth Science exam. Learn about the sustainability of our environment and steps we can take to protect our planet. By the end of this chapter you will have explored:
- Environmental sustainability
- How humans affect sustainability
- Environmental ethics and the impact of human values
- Strategies for environmental planning
- Legislation regarding the environment
- Regulation involving incentives
- Environmental laws, regulations and treaties
The lessons have been specially formulated by educational professionals to allow you to review all of the information necessary to prepare for the exam. The lessons include a short video for visual learning. The videos' transcripts are included as extra resources. You can take the self-assessment quizzes found at the end of each lesson to apply what you've learned and practice for the test.
1. Environmental Sustainability: Definition and Application
Environmental sustainability allows for the needs of man to be met without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Learn applications of environmental sustainability, including sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy.
2. Human Behaviors that Threaten Environmental Sustainability
The environment has a remarkable ability to sustain itself. However, human behaviors disrupt the natural environment and threaten environmental sustainability. Learn how population growth, depletion of resources, and pollution threaten nature.
3. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
4. Environmental Planning & Decision Making: Definition & Components
Environmental planning and decision making take into consideration the needs of society and the natural environment when developing an area. Learn how environmental planning and decision making are carried out to create sustainable outcomes.
5. What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline
Environmental legislation is a collection of many laws and regulations aimed at protecting the environment from harmful actions. Learn about the National Environmental Policy Act and other environmental laws.
6. Incentive-Based Regulatory Approaches: Environmental Taxes & Tradable Permits
An incentive-based regulatory approach aims to reduce environmentally-harmful pollutants by offering inducements to polluters who limit their emissions. Learn how environmental taxes and tradable permits are utilized to help protect the environment.
7. Mining Laws, Regulations, and Treaties: Safety and Reclamation
Mining is big business, but mines can pose numerous hazards. Because of this, both national and international laws are in place to protect miners and the environment while still allowing the products of mining to play a role in our everyday lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards