About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems - Chapter Summary
You can review the lessons in this chapter to take a closer look at freshwater systems as you study for the CEOE Earth Science assessment. In no time, you will be able to:
- Describe the meaning and properties of surface water
- Explain the geological role of the groundwater system
- Identify factors that influence groundwater movement and water movement in river systems
- Discuss laminar and turbulent streamflows
- Define and identify types of wells
- Share how to predict the movement of groundwater and the behavior of wells
All of the lessons in this chapter are short, averaging about 10 minutes apiece. Accessing these lessons enables you to condense days or weeks of materials, saving time and effort as you study for the exam.
CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems - Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Earth Science assessment is offered to educators interested in securing the certification needed to teach Earth science in classrooms throughout Oklahoma. The computer-based test consists of 80 selected-response questions and one constructed-response assignment that explore scientific inquiry, as well as space, water, geologic and atmospheric systems. Topics covered in this chapter are found in the water systems subarea of the test, which constitutes about 12% of the total assessment.
You can improve your chances of success on the exam by exploring the comprehensive lessons in this chapter. Make sure you fully understand freshwater systems by watching the videos, then gauge your understanding with short quizzes and a chapter exam. Revisit specific portions of the lessons by using timelines with clickable video tags that help you identify and skip to key topics. Taking these steps can get you closer to your goal of passing the exam with a score of 240 or higher.
1. Surface Water: Definition & Properties
After completing this lesson, you'll be able to define surface water as well as describe some of its properties and understand why those properties are important.
2. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
3. Factors That Influence Water Movement in River Systems
River systems are complex and diverse. In this lesson, we will explore four main factors that influence the behavior, shape, and movement of water through a river.
4. Factors that Influence Groundwater Movement
The movement of groundwater underneath us is influenced by several factors. In this video lesson, you will learn what these factors are and how they affect how and where groundwater moves.
5. Laminar & Turbulent Streamflows
Streams come in many different shapes and sizes. They can also vary in speed and direction of flow. In this lesson, we will explore two different ways that water can flow through a stream.
6. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
7. Predicting the Movement of Groundwater & the Behavior of Wells
Groundwater is the source of fresh water for many people. In this lesson, we will learn about the different types of wells and how to predict where groundwater will move.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards