About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover the foundations of earth science and explore various theories that provide the basis for earth science as a subject. You can use these lessons to make sure you're prepared for all the related questions you might find within the CEOE Earth Science test, with videos going over the following topics:
- Different fields in earth science
- The Big Bang theory
- The unified model
- The theory of continental drift
- Plate tectonics
- Theory of evolution
- General theory of relativity
- Quantum theory
- Technical applications concerning earth science
You can monitor your progress through the chapter by taking practice quizzes that will also prepare you for the kinds of questions you'll be answering on the test. You can learn at your own pace and in your own style by choosing between a video lesson or transcript and reviewing the topics you want to focus on the most by using the timeline feature, which allows you to go back or skip forward in the videos.
CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Earth Science exam is a computer-based test aimed at determining whether you're qualified to teach earth science in Oklahoma. The exam is composed of 80 multiple-choice questions and a single constructed-response (written) assignment. You'll have 4 hours to complete the test. A passing score on the exam is 240. The multiple-choice questions are divided into 5 categories, including foundations of scientific inquiry, space systems, atmospheric systems, geological systems and water systems, while the constructed-response assignment will be focused on the foundations of scientific inquiry content.
The topics covered in this chapter will appear in the foundations of scientific inquiry section's multiple-choice questions, which make up about 13% of the exam. The constructed-response assignment is roughly 15% of the exam, and may involve the material covered in this chapter.
1. What is Earth Science?
Earth science is a field that includes geology, astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography. Scientists do research in these fields to discover past and future events. Learn about the dynamic field of earth science and how it affects our lives in this lesson.
2. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
3. Active Galactic Nuclei & the Unified Model
This lesson will explain the unified model, a model developed by astronomers that tries to help explain how it is that supposedly different objects are really the same thing viewed from different angles.
4. Alfred Wegener's Theory of Continental Drift
People used to think that Earth was static, and that it never changed. Gradually, a body of evidence was gathered that made no sense in this model. Alfred Wegener, Geologic Supersleuth, laid the groundwork for a whole new theory for the large-scale changing nature of the earth.
5. Plate Tectonics: A Unified Theory for Change of the Earth's Surface
After many years of trying to solve the mystery of the moving continents, enough data and evidence was collected to develop a unifying theory of how the surface of the earth changes. It's called plate tectonics.
6. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
7. General Theory of Relativity: Analysis & Practice Problems
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what general relativity is, list a few consequences of the theory, and solve problems involving gravitational time dilation. A short quiz will follow.
8. Quantum Theory: Definition & Examples
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what quantum theory is, including some key principles and scenarios, and list some applications of quantum theory. A short quiz will follow..
9. Engineering & Technical Applications for Earth Science
Earth science might be a subject you study in school, but it's also a topic that has huge and wide-ranging applications in the real world. Learn about a few of these applications and how they work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards