About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the CEOE Earth Science exam. Working through each lesson in this chapter, you can improve your ability to understand graphic science models. The lessons can make learning about the following topics a fun experience:
- Alternative models and geospatial technologies
- Reading geologic and topographic maps
- Interpreting a scale map
- Characteristics of earth and space science diagrams
- Graphing models in science
- Earth and space science alternative models
You can get a realistic look at what is going to be covered on the CEOE Earth Science exam by working through the lessons in this chapter. They are interactive, so retaining the right information isn't difficult at all.
1. Creating & Using Physical & Graphic Models in Science
The earth is enormous! Studying the earth can be overwhelming because of its size and scope, so models of it are made to make it easier to understand. In this lesson, we will explore physical and graphical models, including what they are used for and how they are made.
2. Alternative Models in Earth & Space Science
In order to investigate a scientific phenomena in the Earth and space sciences, it is important to propose alternative models. In this lesson, we list such models and discuss their appropriateness.
3. Maps, Models & Geospatial Technologies in Scientific Research
Learn about how geospatial technologies are used in scientific research to figure out how phenomena vary across space. We will look at maps, models, and other geospatial technologies.
4. How to Read Topographic and Geologic Maps
This lesson explains the main features of topographic maps, including contour lines, index contours and contour intervals. It will also cover two rules that all contours follow and discuss geologic maps and the information they contain.
5. How to Construct and Interpret a Scale Map
This lesson will explain what a scale map is and how it represents two different things on the map expressed as a ratio. This lesson will also demonstrate the steps needed to create a scale map from any ordinary map.
6. Earth & Space Science Diagrams: Uses & Examples
Since the universe is so big, having a diagram of the Earth and space makes it easier to comprehend and explain. In this lesson, you'll look at some of these diagrams and learn how they're used to relay and gain scientific information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards