About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: The Sun - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter help prepare you for the CEOE Earth Science exam by reviewing the sun's atmosphere along with the movement of energy within the sun. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with these additional topics as well:
- The sun's inner and outer layers
- Color changes in the sun
- Sun spots
- Solar eclipses
- Methods for measuring the sun
Short, engaging video lessons will help you re-familiarize yourself with these concepts, and you can test your understanding and retention of each lesson with self-assessment quizzes. Knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. You can also rewatch key moments from the video lessons by using the Timeline.
CEOE Earth Science: The Sun Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Earth Science exam is used to determine the amount of subject knowledge that individuals have who are trying to obtain teacher certification in Oklahoma. The exam covers foundations of scientific inquiry, space systems, atmospheric systems, geological systems, and water systems. The material covered in the Sun chapter is found in the space systems section of the CEOE Earth Science exam, which makes up about 20% of the entire test. All questions in this section are multiple choice, and the test has a computer-based format.
1. Structure of the Sun
Discover the layers of the sun, including the core, radiative zone, convective zone, photosphere, chromosphere, and corona. Find out which layers you can see from Earth. Investigate what sunspots and solar flares are.
2. The Sun: Atmosphere & Facts
This lesson will go over what the three layers of our sun's atmosphere are, the sun's surface temperature, chemical composition, radius, and distance from Earth.
3. Stages of the Sun's Life Cycle
Discover our sun, the provider of energy for life on Earth. Learn how the sun was born, how it lives as a main sequence star, how it will age into a red giant and how it will die as a white dwarf.
4. How Energy Moves Within the Sun
This lesson will describe how energy is carried from the inner reaches of the Sun, through the radiative zone, then the convective zone, and finally into space.
5. Why the Sun Changes Color
The Sun does not change its true color. However, the way we observe the Sun on Earth makes it appear that the sun changes color. Why this is so is outlined in this lesson.
6. What Are Sunspots?
This lesson will describe for you what sunspots are, where they appear, what parts they have, and why they're dark. It also discusses what differential rotation and a sunspot cycle are.
7. Why Do Sunspots Occur?
This lesson will outline for you why sunspots occur in its photosphere as we go over the Zeeman effect, polarity, and how the sunspot cycle and solar cycle are linked.
8. What Is a Solar Eclipse?
This lesson will describe what a solar eclipse is, why it's possible, when a partial or a total one will occur, and what cool effects occur during one.
9. Solar Surface: Definition & Function
What is the surface of the Sun made of? What does it look like up close? Learn some key facts about the solar surface, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Methods for Measuring & Studying the Sun
Learn about how we measure and study the Sun from a distance. This lesson will explain how to figure out the temperature, chemical composition, diameter, and energy source.
11. Space Travel: History, Dangers & Benefits
Space is fascinating. Humans have been sending objects into space for decades, trying to learn about Earth and what's beyond. But while space travel can be beneficial, there are also risks that come along with exploring the rest of the universe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards