About This Chapter
CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting - Chapter Summary
The engaging video lessons in this chapter break down the field of meteorology along with important tools used by meteorologists that make it possible to predict the weather. These lessons are designed to assist you with answering CEOE Earth Science test questions on the following:
- Understanding the different scales of meteorology
- Identifying instruments used in weather forecasting
- Identifying various types of weather images and maps
- Understanding how weather models are used
- Understanding how warnings are issued for dangerous weather and more
You will find lesson transcripts for the short, fun videos in this chapter. All of our lessons are presented by expert instructors whose experience and expertise are available to you upon request whenever you have a question. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz to confirm retention of the material, and the chapter test will help you measure your progress overall.
CEOE Earth Science: Weather Forecasting Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Earth Science test is concerned with gauging the earth science subject knowledge of candidates pursuing teacher certification in Oklahoma. This chapter aligns with the atmospheric systems subarea of the test, which makes up roughly 24% of the exam. All questions that you're asked out of the respective subarea will have a multiple-choice makeup.
1. The Scientific Field of Meteorology
Thanks to meteorologists, we can plan for both short- and long-term weather events that affect our daily lives. But meteorology has been around a lot longer than the daily news, and this scientific field helps us better understand the world around us in a many ways.
2. Predicting the Weather: Tools, Maps & Symbols
How do weather forecasters predict the weather? What tools are used? When you look at a weather map, what do all the symbols mean? Learn about predicting and mapping the weather in this lesson.
3. Types of Weather Maps & Images
Ever think that weather forecasters just make up their predictions? While they don't always get it right, weather forecasters have a great deal of information at their disposal, as this lesson demonstrates.
4. Using Weather Models & Technology in Forecasting
Forecasting the weather is high-tech these days: computers, satellites, sensors, and models. Learn how we use technology and modelling to predict the weather.
5. Precautions & Alerts for Hazardous Weather
Wherever you live there is likely some sort of weather that could quickly turn into a threat. In this lesson, we'll learn about the National Weather Service's alert system, as well as precautions to take in some of the most common weather emergencies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Earth Science: Scientific Inquiry
- CEOE Earth Science: Mathematics, Science & Technology
- CEOE Earth Science: Collecting, Analyzing & Presenting Data
- CEOE Earth Science: Physical & Mathematical Models
- CEOE Earth Science: Laboratory & Equipment Procedures
- CEOE Earth Science: History & Applications
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth Science Phenomena & Social Implications
- CEOE Earth Science: Natural Resources & Human Impact
- CEOE Earth Science: Environmental Ethics & Management
- CEOE Earth Science: The Earth & Moon
- CEOE Earth Science: The Sun
- CEOE Earth Science: Solar System
- CEOE Earth Science: Stars
- CEOE Earth Science: Galaxies
- CEOE Earth Science: The Universe
- CEOE Earth Science: Atmosphere
- CEOE Earth Science: Weather
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate
- CEOE Earth Science: Climate Change
- CEOE Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- CEOE Earth Science: Earth's Internal Structure
- CEOE Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- CEOE Earth Science: Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- CEOE Earth Science: Geologic History
- CEOE Earth Science: Hydrologic Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- CEOE Earth Science: Oceans
- OSAT Earth Science (CEOE) (008) Flashcards