About This Chapter
CEOE English: 17th & 18th Century Literature - Chapter Summary
The subject matter experts at Study.com developed these videos to be study aids for CEOE English certification. They cover topics including:
- An introduction to the major authors and works of the 17th and 18th centuries
- John Bunyan and The Pilgrim's Progress
- The life and major works of John Milton
- An introduction to Alexander Pope, his essays and poems
- The restoration comedy of 1700s theater
- Examples and analysis of the satire of Jonathan Swift
- The life of Samuel Richardson
- Ann Radcliffe and Gothic literature
Lessons are short, fun videos. Each has an accompanying transcript as a study aid, and there is a short quiz at the end of the lesson to assess your comprehension. We include a feature that allows you to ask a question of an expert.
1. Introduction to 17th- and 18th-Century Literature: Major Authors and Works
A lot can happen in 200 years, as you'll see on our lesson that introduces you to British literature of the 17th and 18th centuries. Go from Shakespeare to the invention of the novel to the introduction of a prominent dictionary in our video below!
2. John Bunyan and Pilgrim's Progress
Pilgrim's Progress is a Christian allegory by John Bunyan. It was published in 1678 and is a highly influential work of religious text in the English language. Follow along as you learn about some of the most memorable characters from this novel.
3. Introduction to John Milton: Life and Major Poems
English poet, essayist and political figure John Milton ranks right up there with William Shakespeare in a list of literary greats. Check out this lesson for an overview of Milton's life and most important works.
4. Introduction to Alexander Pope: Biography, Essays and Poems
Alexander Pope is one of the most quoted writers in the English language, which means you've probably heard his stuff before - you just don't know it yet. Watch this lesson for an overview of Pope's life and key works!
5. Restoration Comedy: Theatre of the 1700s
Despite their name, Restoration comedies have nothing to do with fixing up a theater. Rather, these were shockingly explicit works that were created after almost two decades of live performances being outlawed in England. Watch our video lesson to learn about this surprising and hilarious time in English theatrical history.
6. Jonathan Swift and Satire: Examples and Analysis
When it comes to English-language satire, few authors can top the legendary Jonathan Swift. Watch this lesson to learn about his two most important works, ~'A Modest Proposal~' and ~'Gulliver's Travels~'.
7. Samuel Richardson: Biography, Pamela and the Epistolary Novel
Samuel Richardson was the first writer to produce a true bestseller in the modern sense. Watch our lesson to learn about 'Pamela,' his groundbreaking epistolary novel.
8. Ann Radcliffe and Gothic Literature
Meet the mysterious Ann Radcliffe, a pioneering author who helped create the genre we know today as Gothic literature. As you learn more about her works and style, we'll also look at what constitutes a Gothic novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT English (CEOE) (107): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE English: Introduction to Communication
- CEOE English: Processing Information
- CEOE English: Listening for Understanding
- CEOE English: Presentation & Persuasion
- CEOE English: Social Interaction & Personal Expression
- CEOE English: Purpose & Types of Writing
- CEOE English: Informational Texts
- CEOE English: Process & Structure of Writing
- CEOE English: Grammar
- CEOE English: Sentence Types
- CEOE English: Sentence Structure
- CEOE English: Sentence Clarity
- CEOE English: Editing & Publishing
- CEOE English: Composition
- CEOE English: Research & Sources
- CEOE English: Critical Analysis
- CEOE English: Fundamentals of Language
- CEOE English: Fundamentals of Literature
- CEOE English: Medieval & Middle English Literature
- CEOE English: Renaissance Literature
- CEOE English: Romantic Prose & Poetry
- CEOE English: Victorian Literature
- CEOE English: World Literature
- CEOE English: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- OSAT English (CEOE) (107) Flashcards