About This Chapter
CEOE English: World Literature - Chapter Summary
Many of these lessons on world literature are presented by our subject matter experts in an engaging video format as prep for those intending to take the CEOE test for English. Other lessons are in easy-to-follow text form. The information presented will help you answer test questions having to do with topics including:
- Historical, social and cultural aspects of world literature
- How ancient Greek literature impacted modern language and literature
- A look at the Greek epics of The Iliad and The Odyssey
- An examination of Virgil's The Aeneid
- The life and fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen
Lessons are short, and each has a quiz at the end to gauge retention and comprehension. If you need to re-watch some part of the video lessons, use our keyword-tagged timeline tool to go straight to what you need.
1. World Literature: Historical, Social & Cultural References
Social references and literature go hand in hand. This lesson shows, through a variety of different examples, the impact that literature and society have on each other.
2. Impact of Ancient Greek Literature on Modern Literature & Language
In this lesson, you will explore the various ways that ancient Greek literature has impacted our modern language and literature. Then,you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. The Iliad: Greek Epic
This lecture traces the history of Greek epics. It then examines the central themes of 'The Iliad': Xenia, Achilles' wrath, and his quest for immortality. The plot of 'The Iliad' is summarized and attention is drawn to themes from the Sumerian tradition.
4. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
5. The Aeneid by Virgil
This lesson explores Virgil's 'Aeneid'. It consists of a brief plot synopsis. We stop along the way to look at a few important scenes and offer analysis where necessary.
6. Hans Christian Andersen: Biography & Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen wrote over 160 fairy tales, many of which have become beloved and classic children's stories. Read about the man behind the fairy tales, and learn about some of his more popular creations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT English (CEOE) (107): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE English: Introduction to Communication
- CEOE English: Processing Information
- CEOE English: Listening for Understanding
- CEOE English: Presentation & Persuasion
- CEOE English: Social Interaction & Personal Expression
- CEOE English: Purpose & Types of Writing
- CEOE English: Informational Texts
- CEOE English: Process & Structure of Writing
- CEOE English: Grammar
- CEOE English: Sentence Types
- CEOE English: Sentence Structure
- CEOE English: Sentence Clarity
- CEOE English: Editing & Publishing
- CEOE English: Composition
- CEOE English: Research & Sources
- CEOE English: Critical Analysis
- CEOE English: Fundamentals of Language
- CEOE English: Fundamentals of Literature
- CEOE English: Medieval & Middle English Literature
- CEOE English: Renaissance Literature
- CEOE English: 17th & 18th Century Literature
- CEOE English: Romantic Prose & Poetry
- CEOE English: Victorian Literature
- CEOE English: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- OSAT English (CEOE) (107) Flashcards