About This Chapter
CEOE Physical Science: Lab Safety- Chapter Summary
Your review of the lab safety chapter includes video lessons that are user-friendly. Studying this portion of the exam will contribute to your readiness of the CEOE Physical Science exam. You will find the following concepts within this chapter:
- Laboratory equipment
- Laboratory safety approaches
- Personal laboratory safety
- Safe storage, use and disposal of chemicals
- Recognizing labels within the laboratory
- Hazardous materials
When you watch each video lesson and take each quiz, you will study and reinforce the necessary knowledge you need to pass this section of the exam. You can use these tools multiple times until you have a solid understanding of the chapter.
CEOE Physical Science: Lab Safety Objectives
The entire CEOE Physical Science exam contains 80 multiple-choice questions and 1 constructed-response assignment. The exam contains three subareas that make up the entire test. Subarea one is titled Foundations of Scientific Inquiry, which makes up 24% of the CEOE Physical Science exam. There are six competencies in subarea one and, of those six competencies, one contains information on laboratory safety. The lessons and other study aids in this chapter provide a solid review of this topic.
1. Common Laboratory Equipment: Types & Uses
Biologists use all kinds of equipment in their labs to run their experiments. In this lesson, you'll identify some of the most common pieces of equipment as well as when you should or shouldn't use them.
2. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
3. Standard Laboratory Safety Equipment
Even with proper precautions, lab accidents do happen. When they do, knowing what safety equipment is in your lab, where it is located, and how to use it can prevent further harm to both the lab and the people working in it.
4. Personal Safety Equipment for the Science Lab
Science labs are great places to explore and learn. But they're only as safe as the people who use them, so in this lesson, we'll discuss some of the ways that you can protect yourself and prevent personal harm in the event of a lab accident.
5. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
An important part of lab safety involves the correct usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals. Lab safety is everyone's responsibility, so it's important that you know the proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab.
6. Understanding SDS/OSHA Labels on Chemicals & Supplies
Safety Data Sheets are an important component of safe lab work. In this lesson, we'll dissect an SDS to better understand its various components and see how they help keep you and everyone else safe in any lab setting.
7. Disposing of Hazardous Materials: Public Safety & Controversy
Hazardous materials come in all types and from many sources. Because they may be harmful to human health, it's important to dispose of them properly and safely. It's also due to this potential harm that both their use and disposal are controversial.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physical Science (CEOE) (013): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physical Science: Inquiry & Research Methods
- CEOE Physical Science: Basic Concepts & Theories
- CEOE Physical Science: Equipment, Measurement & Data
- CEOE Physical Science: Natural Resources
- CEOE Physical Science: Human Effects on the Environment
- CEOE Physical Science: Conservation & Sustainability
- CEOE Physical Science: Chemicals & Radioactive Emissions
- CEOE Physical Science: Motion in One Dimension
- CEOE Physical Science: Motion & Vectors
- CEOE Physical Science: Distance, Speed & Acceleration
- CEOE Physical Science: Force
- CEOE Physical Science: Work, Energy & Power
- CEOE Physical Science: Electric Force & Charge
- CEOE Physical Science: Circuits in Physics
- CEOE Physical Science: Magnetic Forces & Fields
- CEOE Physical Science: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physical Science: Sound & Light Waves
- CEOE Physical Science: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physical Science: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- CEOE Physical Science: Atomic Theory & Structure
- CEOE Physical Science: Quantum Theory & Nuclear Reactions
- CEOE Physical Science: Compounds, Mixtures & Solutions
- CEOE Physical Science: The Periodic Table
- CEOE Physical Science: Matter
- CEOE Physical Science: Types of Chemical Bonds
- CEOE Physical Science: The Mole Concept
- CEOE Physical Science: Compounds & Formulas
- CEOE Physical Science: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- CEOE Physical Science: Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physical Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- CEOE Physical Science: Oxidation Reduction
- CEOE Physical Science: Equilibrium
- CEOE Physical Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- OSAT Physical Science (CEOE) (013) Flashcards