About This Chapter
CEOE Physical Science: Light, Mirrors & Lenses - Chapter Summary
Let these short videos refresh your knowledge of the science behind how light behaves, why we see color, and more. The lessons include the information given below:
- Origin of light, color frequencies and spectrum
- Composition of white light and occurrence of color
- Definition of reflection, refraction and dispersion, Snell's Law
- Types and sources of light rays
- How to answer mirror questions with equations
This refresher course offers a multi-faceted approach that you can adapt to your own personal needs and learning style. If you prefer a visual format, our short yet informative and brightly-written videos are right for you. If you prefer reading to viewing, the fully-transcribed text version of the lesson may be more suitable. Quizzes and chapter tests reinforce the material, and the dashboard helps you stay on track.
CEOE Physical Science: Light, Mirrors & Lenses Chapter Objectives
The CEOE Physical Science test is part of a battery of competency-based and criterion-referenced examinations that comprise the teacher certification and endorsement process for the state of Oklahoma. This course and the lessons contained in it are aligned to the competencies under Subarea II: Motion, Forces and Energy. Subarea II makes up 32% of the exam.
The CEOE Physical Science exam is computer-based, with 80 multiple-choice questions and one for which you must compose a written response. The constructed-response assignment may refer to any of the three subareas that comprise the test. Your composition must meet the length requirement of 300 to 600 words.
1. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
2. Reflection: Angle of Incidence and Curved Surfaces
How do waves reflect off of surfaces? How do we account for the images that we see reflected in various objects? Discover the answers to these questions as we investigate the rays and angles defining the law of reflection.
3. Color: White Light, Reflection & Absorption
What gives color to objects? How do light waves interact with materials to produce red and green or white and black? In this lesson, learn how white light is composed of all colors and how absorption and reflection influence our color perception.
4. Refraction & Dispersion: Definition, Snell's Law & Index of Refraction
Refraction explains why light bends in water. But, did you know that mathematical laws determine exactly how light waves are bent? In this lesson, we'll explore the mechanics of wave refraction, including Snell's Law and the index of refraction.
5. Light Rays: Definition, Types & Sources
This lesson will explain what light rays are, the main types of light rays, and how they can be simulated using lasers or beams of light. A short quiz will follow.
6. Using Equations to Answer Mirror Questions
After watching this lesson, you will be able to answer questions on mirrors, stating whether an image is real or virtual, upright or inverted, and larger or smaller. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physical Science (CEOE) (013): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physical Science: Inquiry & Research Methods
- CEOE Physical Science: Basic Concepts & Theories
- CEOE Physical Science: Equipment, Measurement & Data
- CEOE Physical Science: Lab Safety
- CEOE Physical Science: Natural Resources
- CEOE Physical Science: Human Effects on the Environment
- CEOE Physical Science: Conservation & Sustainability
- CEOE Physical Science: Chemicals & Radioactive Emissions
- CEOE Physical Science: Motion in One Dimension
- CEOE Physical Science: Motion & Vectors
- CEOE Physical Science: Distance, Speed & Acceleration
- CEOE Physical Science: Force
- CEOE Physical Science: Work, Energy & Power
- CEOE Physical Science: Electric Force & Charge
- CEOE Physical Science: Circuits in Physics
- CEOE Physical Science: Magnetic Forces & Fields
- CEOE Physical Science: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physical Science: Sound & Light Waves
- CEOE Physical Science: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physical Science: Atomic Theory & Structure
- CEOE Physical Science: Quantum Theory & Nuclear Reactions
- CEOE Physical Science: Compounds, Mixtures & Solutions
- CEOE Physical Science: The Periodic Table
- CEOE Physical Science: Matter
- CEOE Physical Science: Types of Chemical Bonds
- CEOE Physical Science: The Mole Concept
- CEOE Physical Science: Compounds & Formulas
- CEOE Physical Science: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- CEOE Physical Science: Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physical Science: States of Matter & Phase Changes
- CEOE Physical Science: Oxidation Reduction
- CEOE Physical Science: Equilibrium
- CEOE Physical Science: Acid-Base Chemistry
- OSAT Physical Science (CEOE) (013) Flashcards