About This Chapter
CEOE Physics: Circuit Overview - Chapter Summary
As you work through the engaging video lessons and short quizzes in this Circuit Overview chapter, you will strengthen your understanding of the difference between amps of current and watts of power, and discover more about the relationship between current and voltage. Use what you learn to boost your knowledge base so you can do well on the CEOE Physics certification exam. Chapter topics include:
- Examples of insulators and conductors
- Types of electric currents
- The definition of electrical resistance and electric power
- Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's Rules
- Resistor-capacitor circuits
Take the short quiz after each lesson to assess your understanding of the concepts. Use the video transcripts to track down key ideas. If you have any questions about the information presented in this chapter, ask our instructors for guidance and support.
Objectives of the CEOE Physics: Circuit Overview Chapter
This chapter covers the circuit-related concepts you'll likely encounter on the CEOE Physics certification test. Lesson quizzes are modeled after questions on the exam and provide an opportunity to get accustomed to the test format.
The exam itself is computer-administered with a cutoff time of four hours. You must complete eighty multiple-choice questions (accounting for 85% of your score) and one essay (accounting for the remaining 15%).
1. Insulators and Conductors: Examples, Definitions & Qualities
In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that some materials conduct electrical energy with ease while others block it almost completely. We'll also talk about the property of conductivity and some everyday examples of insulators and conductors.
2. What is Electric Current? - Definition, Unit & Types
Like a river current is the flow of water molecules, electrical current is the flow of charged particles. In this lesson, we're going to explore what electrical current is, what causes it, and that, unlike a water current, electrical current doesn't always flow in one direction.
3. Electrical Resistance: Definition, Unit & Variables
We'll take a shopping trip to the mall to learn how electrical resistance works and how it is affected by resistivity, conductor dimensions, and temperature. We'll also take a look at several common appliances that take advantage of resistance to function.
4. Ohm's Law: Definition & Relationship Between Voltage, Current & Resistance
Did you know that electrical current is affected by the voltage and resistance in a circuit? In this lesson, we'll use Ohm's law, which tells us how current, voltage, and resistance are related, as we work through several electric circuit examples.
5. What is Electric Power?
Power is a word we use all the time, but do you really know what it means? We'll look at how electrical power relates to voltage, current and resistance and how knowing that relationship can help you in everyday life.
6. Applying Kirchhoff's Rules: Examples & Problems
Ohm's Law can be useful for analyzing simple circuits, but when circuits are more complex, as they often are, we can instead analyze the circuits using Kirchhoff's rules. Learn about Kirchhoff's rules in this lesson.
7. Resistor-Capacitor (RC) Circuits: Definition & Explanation
Resistor-capacitor (RC) circuits are everywhere because they are useful in our everyday lives. The current in these circuits varies with time, making them both practical and common in many types of electronic equipment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physics: Introduction to Scientific Research
- CEOE Physics: Cross-Cutting Concepts in Science
- CEOE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- CEOE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- CEOE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- CEOE Physics: Oscillations
- CEOE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- CEOE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- CEOE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- CEOE Physics: Electrostatics
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetism
- CEOE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- CEOE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physics: Atomic Structure & Nuclear Physics
- CEOE Physics: Quantum Physics
- OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014) Flashcards