About This Chapter
CEOE Physics: Fluid Mechanics - Chapter Summary
Use the entertaining videos and quick lesson quizzes in this chapter to master the fluid mechanics concepts you'll need to know for the CEOE Physics exam. As you work through the material, you will cover:
- Characteristics of fluids
- Types of pressure
- Fluid mass and buoyancy
- Bernoulli's Principle
- Archimedes' Principle
The video transcripts highlight key terms and ideas and provide an additional learning resource. If you have any questions about the material, don't hesitate to reach out to our instructors for guidance.
Objectives of the CEOE Physics: Fluid Mechanics Chapter
Use this chapter to review fluid mechanics in preparation for the CEOE Physics certification examination. Lesson quizzes introduce you to the CEOE question format and provide the opportunity to evaluate your test-taking pace.
You will have four hours to complete all eighty-one items on the test. An essay task is worth fifteen percent of your score, and the remaining items are all multiple-choice questions accounting for eighty-five percent.
1. Fluids in Physics: Definition and Characteristics
Fluids really know how to move! As flowing materials, fluids have some unique properties that help us understand and describe them. In this lesson you'll explore what fluids are and how they are defined in the world of physics.
2. Pressure: Definition, Units, and Conversions
Have you ever wondered what pressure is and how it gets measured? In this lesson, we are going to define pressure and explain some of the units that are used to express measurements of pressure.
3. Hydrostatic Pressure: Definition, Equation, and Calculations
This video lesson will introduce you to hydrostatic pressure in a liquid, as well as provide examples for how to calculate the liquid's pressure at a given depth.
4. Buoyancy: Calculating Force and Density with Archimedes' Principle
Knowledge of the buoyant force is important when trying to understand why some objects float while other objects sink. In this lesson you'll learn about this unique force and how we apply it to various situations using Archimedes' Principle.
5. Fluid Mass, Flow Rate and the Continuity Equation
Fluids rarely stay put, so we need to understand how they move. In this lesson, you will learn about how the movement of fluids is influenced by the space it passes through, as well as see examples of how to calculate aspects of this movement.
6. Bernoulli's Principle: Definition and Examples
Understanding how a moving fluid's speed and pressure change as it flows along is not only important for building airplanes but also for backyard fun. In this video lesson you'll learn about Bernoulli's principle and identify some practical applications of this concept.
7. Archimedes' Principle: Definition, Formula & Examples
Archimedes' principle deals with the forces applied to objects by the fluids around that object. This applied force reduces the net weight of any object in a fluid, whether it be a liquid or a gas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physics: Introduction to Scientific Research
- CEOE Physics: Cross-Cutting Concepts in Science
- CEOE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- CEOE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- CEOE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- CEOE Physics: Oscillations
- CEOE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- CEOE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- CEOE Physics: Electrostatics
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetism
- CEOE Physics: Circuit Overview
- CEOE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- CEOE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physics: Atomic Structure & Nuclear Physics
- CEOE Physics: Quantum Physics
- OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014) Flashcards