Copyright

Ch 14: CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves

About This Chapter

Use the fun-sized video lessons in this chapter to review sound and sound waves as you prepare for the CEOE Physics certification test. If you have any questions as you work through the material, reach out to our instructors for help.

CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves - Chapter Summary

This chapter covers the sound science material you'll likely encounter as you take the CEOE Physics certification test. Fun, engaging video lessons cover the following topics:

  • Sound and its movement through space
  • Sound waves, pitch and volume
  • The Doppler effect and its applications
  • Effects of wave properties on sound perception
  • The superposition principle

Video transcripts highlight key terms, making it easy to pinpoint ideas for further review. Use the lesson quizzes to practice using the information you've covered and assess where additional study is necessary. Reach out to our instructors if you have any questions along the way.

Objectives of the CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves Chapter

Use this chapter to review sound science. The lesson quizzes let you evaluate your mastery of the concepts and introduce you to the format of the CEOE Physics certification assessment. If you need study support, ask our instructors for advice.

The CEOE Physics test is administered by computer and includes eighty-one tasks. You will have four hours in which to complete them. One of the items is an extended-answer essay accounting for 15% of your score. All other items are multiple-choice questions accounting for the remaining 85%.

5 Lessons in Chapter 14: CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
Test your knowledge with a 30-question chapter practice test
What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound

1. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound

Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.

Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves

2. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves

What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.

The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications

3. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications

What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.

Relationship Between Sound Wave Properties & Sound Perception

4. Relationship Between Sound Wave Properties & Sound Perception

After completing this lesson, you will be able to describe the properties of sound waves and explain how they relate to what you hear when you listen to a sound. A short quiz will follow.

The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves

5. The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves

After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and how this leads to the formation of standing waves. A short quiz will follow.

Chapter Practice Exam
Test your knowledge of this chapter with a 30 question practice chapter exam.
Not Taken
Practice Final Exam
Test your knowledge of the entire course with a 50 question practice final exam.
Not Taken

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Support