About This Chapter
CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the sound science material you'll likely encounter as you take the CEOE Physics certification test. Fun, engaging video lessons cover the following topics:
- Sound and its movement through space
- Sound waves, pitch and volume
- The Doppler effect and its applications
- Effects of wave properties on sound perception
- The superposition principle
Video transcripts highlight key terms, making it easy to pinpoint ideas for further review. Use the lesson quizzes to practice using the information you've covered and assess where additional study is necessary. Reach out to our instructors if you have any questions along the way.
Objectives of the CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves Chapter
Use this chapter to review sound science. The lesson quizzes let you evaluate your mastery of the concepts and introduce you to the format of the CEOE Physics certification assessment. If you need study support, ask our instructors for advice.
The CEOE Physics test is administered by computer and includes eighty-one tasks. You will have four hours in which to complete them. One of the items is an extended-answer essay accounting for 15% of your score. All other items are multiple-choice questions accounting for the remaining 85%.
1. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
2. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves
What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.
3. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications
What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.
4. Relationship Between Sound Wave Properties & Sound Perception
After completing this lesson, you will be able to describe the properties of sound waves and explain how they relate to what you hear when you listen to a sound. A short quiz will follow.
5. The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and how this leads to the formation of standing waves. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physics: Introduction to Scientific Research
- CEOE Physics: Cross-Cutting Concepts in Science
- CEOE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- CEOE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- CEOE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- CEOE Physics: Oscillations
- CEOE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- CEOE Physics: Work, Energy & Power
- CEOE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- CEOE Physics: Electrostatics
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetism
- CEOE Physics: Circuit Overview
- CEOE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- CEOE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physics: Atomic Structure & Nuclear Physics
- CEOE Physics: Quantum Physics
- OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014) Flashcards