About This Chapter
CEOE Physics: Work, Energy & Power - Chapter Summary
Use the short, accessible video lessons in this chapter to study work, energy and power concepts you'll likely see on the CEOE Physics certification exam. As you work through the chapter, you will review:
- The types and significance of energy
- Characteristics of work
- Variable forces and mechanical energy
- Applications of the work-energy theorem
- Examples of conservative forces
- The mathematics of power
Video transcripts highlight key terms and offer an alternative format for students who prefer multiple learning methods. If you have any trouble with the material, don't hesitate to ask our instructors for clarification and advice.
Objectives of the CEOE Physics: Work, Energy & Power Chapter
Use this chapter to review the physics, work and energy principles you'll need to know for the CEOE Physics certification exam. Lesson quizzes mimic questions from the CEOE so you can get comfortable with the test format. Questions on work, energy and power will be presented on the exam's Motion, Forces and Energy subarea, which accounts for 21% of the test.
The exam is computer-based and consists of eighty-one tasks. Eighty tasks are multiple-choice questions worth 85% of your score. The remaining task is an essay assignment that accounts for the remaining 15%. You will have four hours to complete the exam.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. Work: Definition, Characteristics, and Examples
Pushing a wall all day may feel like work, but unless you get that wall moving you're not doing any work according to the rules of physics. In this video lesson, you'll learn how work is defined as well as how to calculate the amount of work done on an object.
3. Work Done by a Variable Force
Doing work on an object is a simple concept: we apply a certain force over a certain distance. But in real life, that force is rarely constant. Therefore, we need to understand variable forces and be able to calculate them accurately.
4. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
5. Work-Energy Theorem: Definition and Application
Work and energy are closely related in physics. In this lesson, you'll learn what that relationship is as well as how we can apply it to various situations.
6. Conservative Forces: Examples & Effects
Learn how to tell if a force is conservative and what exactly is being conserved. Then look at a couple of specific examples of forces to see how they are conservative.
7. Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Energy comes in many forms and for any system can never be created or destroyed. This holds true for mechanical energy, which also obeys this law of conservation of energy. In this video lesson, you'll explore how mechanical energy is converted or transferred between forms and objects.
8. Power: Definition and Mathematics
Work involves moving an object with a force, but power tells us how quickly that work is done. In this lesson, you will learn about how power depends on both work and time as well as see examples of how to calculate power.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Physics: Introduction to Scientific Research
- CEOE Physics: Cross-Cutting Concepts in Science
- CEOE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- CEOE Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- CEOE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- CEOE Physics: Oscillations
- CEOE Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- CEOE Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- CEOE Physics: Electrostatics
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetism
- CEOE Physics: Circuit Overview
- CEOE Physics: Waves & Wave Motion
- CEOE Physics: Sound & Sound Waves
- CEOE Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- CEOE Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- CEOE Physics: Kinetic Theory & Thermodynamics
- CEOE Physics: Atomic Structure & Nuclear Physics
- CEOE Physics: Quantum Physics
- OSAT Physics (CEOE) (014) Flashcards