About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle and Spelling - Chapter Summary
These lessons are intended to facilitate your passing of your upcoming competency exams. Included in this CEOE prep chapter is such information as:
- Applying the alphabetic principle to learning to read
- Teaching students to identify letters
- Types, structure and activities of consonants, vowels and syllables
- Developing spelling in stages
- The process of spelling development
- Kindergarten and preschool alphabet lessons
Video lessons are presented by our subject matter experts, intended to be enjoyable, short and engaging. You can follow along using the transcript provided and then take a short quiz at the end of the lesson. Any information that wasn't correctly understood can be reviewed by using our unique timeline tool that allows you to go directly to whatever needs to be looked at again without having to watch the complete video.
1. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
2. Teaching Letter Identification to Students
One important step in learning to read and write is learning letter names. How do teachers instruct letter identification? This lesson will describe where this skill fits into reading instruction, how to teach it, and why it matters.
3. Understanding Consonants, Vowels & Syllables: Types, Structure & Activities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how vowels and consonants come together to form syllables. You will also learn how you can teach this part of our language to your students.
4. Stages of Spelling Development
Children don't start out knowing how to spell words. Instead, spelling (like many other skills) develops over time and with practice. Watch this lesson to find out more about the stages of spelling development that children go through.
5. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
6. Alphabet Lessons for Kindergarten and Preschool
Teaching the alphabet is a large part of teaching preschool and kindergarten. This lesson will give you several activities you can use to teach this important skill to your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards