About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners - Chapter Summary
This chapter prepares you for CEOE Reading Specialist questions on how to best address the needs of the English language learner student population. We prep you in this chapter with lessons covering such topics as:
- How native language plays a role in learning a second language
- Developing a curriculum in English as a second language
- Student teaching strategies
- Teaching the student English vocabulary
- Teaching the student to read English
- Scaffolding instruction
- Using the approach of cognitive academic language learning
Our approach to providing instruction is unique and fun. We use video lessons where the information is presented by various subject matter experts. You follow along with a transcript and at the end of the 5-10 minute video, you can take a short multiple-choice question quiz. If there is anything you missed, a timeline tool using keywords allows you to go right to the point in the video that covers that information. There's no need to rewatch the complete video.
1. The Role of Native Language in Second Language Acquisition
In this lesson we explore the various schools of thought surrounding the use of native language in second-language education, ranging from using it often to not using it at all.
2. ESL Curriculum Development
This lesson will highlight some ways in which curriculum can be developed for English as a second language (ESL) classrooms and learners, as well as go over some instructional strategies to help support ESL students develop their language skills.
3. Strategies for Teaching ELL Students
This lesson will highlight strategies that can be used to help English Language Learners in the classroom, such as the use of pictures and small groups. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge of methods for teaching ELL students.
4. Teaching Vocabulary to ELL Students
Using a translator or carrying a translating device is not realistic when learning English as a second language. In this lesson, you'll learn how to strategically teach vocabulary to English language learners.
5. Teaching ELL Students to Read
There has been an increase in the number of English language learners (ELLs) in the classroom. This lesson highlights ways to teach ELLs to become successful readers.
6. Scaffolding Instruction for English Language Learners
The number of English language learners (ELLs) in the classroom is on the rise, and teachers must have strategies for teaching these students. This lesson will highlight ways in which to scaffold instruction for ELLs to help them become successful in the classroom.
7. Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach
In this lesson, you'll learn about the cognitive academic language learning approach, a method used to help English language learners gain academic fluency in English. Terms are defined, an example is provided, and a short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards