About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter are designed to help prepare you for passing your upcoming CEOE Reading Specialist test. Our instructors use videos for instruction on the following topics:
- The impact of personal and individual issues on language and reading development
- The influence of culture and linguistics on reading development
- Factors that influence constructing meaning
- How diversity influences adolescent literacy
- How a literate society is strengthened by social diversity
- How reading comprehension is affected by a student's background
The video lessons our experts put together are short and engaging. You can follow along using the transcript that is provided, take a short quiz at the end of each lesson to validate your comprehension, and you can use our unique timeline tool to reexamine any specific portion of a lesson without having to watch a whole video over again.
1. How Personal & Individual Issues Impact Language & Reading Development
Students need to learn reading and language skills, but this is easier said than done. We are going to look at several issues that can impact student learning, including home life, physical/developmental situations, and emotional difficulties.
2. Cultural, Ethnic & Linguistic Relationships to Reading Development
All students have different backgrounds to bring to the classroom. This video lesson addresses some things to consider in a reading classroom with regards to students of different cultures.
3. Influences on Constructing Meaning
Learning to read requires much more than phonemic awareness. Students must also be able to construct meaning. This lesson takes a look at this process by examining the influences of prior knowledge, sociocultural differences, and linguistic understanding.
4. How Social Diversity Strengthens a Literate Society
In this lesson, we will examine how diversity strengthens a literate society through the lens of communication theory and then identify how pluralism ultimately increases our capacity for change management.
5. Influence of Diversity on Adolescent Literacy
The classroom of today is one of diversity and multicultural awareness. Teachers have the power and the responsibility to provide learning opportunities leading to literacy for all learners.
6. Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency
In this lesson, you'll learn about cognitive academic language proficiency, how it affects student learning, and what can be done to improve student outcomes. An example is provided and a short quiz follows.
7. How a Student's Background Affects Reading Comprehension
Cultural and linguistic backgrounds can have a tremendous effect on a student's level of comprehension in a particular text, which may affect recall and interpretations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards