About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends and Movements - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide overviews of methods in reading instruction, evaluation and comprehension which are addressed in the Instruction subarea of the CEOE Reading Specialist exam. Proficiency in this area will lead you to develop the following abilities and correctly answer these types of questions on the exam:
- Interpreting trends in reading instruction history
- Identifying the five foundational components of reading acquisition
- Listing the five steps of the outcome-based model of education
- Describing the Orton-Gillingham approach to reading instruciton
- Discussing the elements of a basal reading program
- Understanding how literature circles help develop students' reading comprehension
- Summarizing the elements of effective literacy programs for adolescents
Instructors present the material in simple terms and use examples to support the narrative text. Self-assessment quizzes help you gauge your level of understanding and a timeline feature for each lesson allows you to access only those parts of the videos where you might need further review.
1. History of Reading Instruction: Trends & Movements
Reading instruction hasn't always looked like it does today. This lesson takes a look at the history of reading instruction and highlights major trends, philosophies, and approaches to teaching reading.
2. Elements of Effective Reading Programs
This lesson discusses the necessary steps students must master in order to become great readers. This lesson reminds teachers that it is important to build a firm foundation so that readers can develop their reading skills over a period of time.
3. Outcome-Based Education: Steps & Evaluation
The simplest way to measure learning effectiveness is to ask, 'What will the students actually be able to do when they're finished learning?' In this lesson we'll discuss typical steps for achievement and evaluation in the outcome-based approach.
4. The Orton-Gillingham Approach of Reading Instruction
In this lesson, we discover an important learning method, the Orton-Gillingham Approach, which can help students with dyslexia and other reading-related learning disabilities to overcome their disorders.
5. What Is a Basal Reading Program?
In this lesson, we explore the basic methods behind teaching a basal reading program and what students, parents, and teachers can expect when a basal program is implemented.
6. How Literature Circles Benefit Reading Comprehension
Literature circles: Are they a waste of instruction time or a worthwhile opportunity for student growth? This lesson outlines some great benefits to using literature circles in your classroom.
7. Elements of Effective Adolescent Literacy Programs
In this lesson, we will examine the components of a comprehensive adolescent literacy program, including techniques to make it relevant and motivating to students, instructional implications for teachers in all content areas, and program evaluation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards