About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts - Chapter Summary
The CEOE Reading Specialist exam is meant to test your competency as a reading specialist for the state of Oklahoma. This chapter seeks to develop your understanding of summaries and paraphrasing, while also refreshing your abilities to interpret line graphs and charts of scientific data. Other topics these lessons will address include:
- Use of text to guide your interpretation of literary meaning
- How to paraphrase and quote when summarizing your research
- Classroom questioning techniques
- Higher level questions used for reading
- Textual evidence and how to interpret informational text
- Making predictions based on a reading selection's information
- Analyzing graphic information from within a text
Information is provided in short videos that are fun to watch and give you a slice of information at a time. Read along with the transcript as you watch and take the quiz at the end. If you miss any questions, there is a tool for locating the point on the video that contains the right answer so you can go right to that section of the video and rewatch. Couldn't be easier!
1. What is a Summary? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson you'll learn what summaries are and how they differ from other forms of condensed writing. You'll also be shown an example of a summary, and what should and should not be included in a summary paragraph.
2. What is Paraphrasing? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what a paraphrase is and how to accurately paraphrase information. Take a look at some examples, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
In this lesson, we will discuss how to find and interpret literary meaning in writings. The lesson will focus on using the text to find key elements to guide your interpretation.
4. Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Your Research
Quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing are three important skills to master for writing in the academic and business world. These skills will help support claims and add credibility to your work.
5. Questioning Techniques in the Classroom
This lesson will highlight various questioning techniques that can be used in the classroom to promote critical thinking. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
6. Higher Level Questions for Reading
This lesson will highlight some higher-level questions that can be used for reading comprehension. Higher-level questions require students to think critically about the story or text that they are reading. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
7. Higher Level Thinking Questions for Reading
Educational trends encourage the process of metacognition, or understanding one's own thinking. This requires a teacher to develop higher-level thinking questions. This lesson will help educators reach fluency in developing these kinds of questions.
8. Textual Evidence & Interpreting an Informational Text
In this lesson, we will explore informational texts. Along the way, we will discover a few tips to make reading this type of text easier, and we will pay special attention to textual evidence.
9. How to Make Predictions Based on Information from a Reading Selection
Making predictions when reading is an important reading comprehension strategy. In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important and how to model and practice it.
10. How to Analyze Graphic Information Inside a Text
In this lesson, we explore graphic information in texts. We will take a look at the types of graphics often seen in nonfiction, learn how to analyze them, and see how they contribute to the texts' information.
11. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
12. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
13. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
14. How to Apply Ideas from a Reading Selection to Other Situations
Applying what we learn from books to other situations in life helps us grow and improve. This lesson demonstrates how to apply ideas from a text to other situations and how to teach this important skill to readers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards