About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition - Chapter Summary
Studying for the CEOE Reading Specialist assessment doesn't have to be a chore. With the lessons in this chapter, you can gain greater insight into language acquisition by watching the fun videos. Instructors explore linguistics, semantics and more to ensure you're prepared for questions on the following topics on exam day:
- The meaning of linguistics and how language is developed in children
- Oral language's effects on reading development
- The stages of language development
- How culture and environment affect language development
- The definition for semantics
- The nativist theory of language development
All of the materials you need to study related to language acquisition have been compiled, organized and packaged into videos you can explore without leaving the comfort of your home. Benefit from presentations from expert instructors who can deepen your understanding of the subject area. Also, enjoy short quizzes and a practice chapter exam you can use to test your readiness to take the assessment.
1. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
2. The Impact of Oral Language on Reading Development
Oral language skills are fundamentally connected to the ability to learn reading. In this lesson, explore the direct links between oral language and reading development, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
4. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
5. What Is Semantics? - Definition & Examples
Semantics, or the study of relationships between words and how we construct meaning, sheds light on how we experience the world and how we understand others and ourselves. Explore this concept with a definition and examples, and then check out the quiz to challenge your newfound knowledge.
6. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards