About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development- Chapter Summary
Brush up on the aspects of the professional development of reading specialists by going through this chapter. The entertaining video lessons included in this chapter will help you get ready for the CEOE Reading Specialist test. Review the following topics:
- Role of a reading specialist and the importance of teaching reading
- The influences of reading programs and materials
- Teaching teachers
- Supervising reading programs
- Staffing requirements
- NEA and AFT
- Professional organizations, goals and activities
- Self-assessment and knowledge
The video lessons and transcripts found in each lesson in this chapter are taught by experienced instructors who can help you master the material that you will be tested on when you take the CEOE Reading Specialist exam. Do you find yourself struggling through the lessons or getting stuck? You can reach out to our instructors if you face challenges by asking them questions about the lessons. They will answer your questions and help you master the information you will need to know.
1. The Role of the Reading Specialist
You might be wondering what a reading specialist is and how s/he relates to other professionals at your school. This lesson gives you insight into this important position.
2. Influences on Selecting Reading Programs & Materials
When it comes to teaching reading, it's very important to use research-based tools that meet the needs of your students. Take a look at this lesson for help selecting reading programs and materials for elementary schools.
3. How to Teach Teachers How to Teach
Not everyone was born to teach, but that doesn't mean you can't still make an impact in the classroom. This lesson will highlight how to teach teachers how to teach. A short quiz will follow to test you knowledge.
4. Supervising & Staffing Reading Programs
In this lesson, we'll explore effective supervisory strategies for selecting qualified reading staff, implementing and supervising reading programs, and determining appropriate resource allocation for students and teachers.
5. Teacher Expectations & Attributions
Attributions for success and failure drive future expectations for learning and success. Students attribute their successes or failures to a number of factors. Teachers also make attributions for student performance. This lesson will explore teacher expectations and attributions that affect classroom and individual student performance.
6. National Education Association (NEA): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The National Education Association (NEA) is a major force in the world of American education. Watch this lesson to find out what the NEA is, what it does, what its core values are, who can become a member, and how to join.
7. American Federation of Teachers (AFT): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) provides many benefits to its members across the country. In this lesson, we'll explore the AFT, including how to join, the structure of the organization, and its mission and work across the United States.
8. Field-Specific Professional Organizations in Education
Joining a professional education organization can provide educators with all sorts of benefits. But how can a teacher find an association in his or her content area? Watch this lesson for the benefits of field-specific organizations and how to find one.
9. Teacher Professional Development Goals
This lesson discusses the importance of having robust professional development goals and shares tips for achieving those goals. In addition, reasons for pursuing the goals mentioned below are discussed.
10. Teacher Professional Development Activities
In this lesson, we will discuss why professional development is essential for teachers and types of professional development activities. We will also briefly cover state requirements and paying for professional development.
11. Importance of Professional Development for Master Reading Teachers
In recent years, public education has increased its focus on professional development and creating deep networks of support within the school system. An integral member of this is the Master Reading Teacher. In this lesson, you'll have a chance to explore this role, and test your own understanding with a brief quiz.
12. Self-Assessment for Effective Classroom Instruction
Successful teachers use a variety of strategies to make sure they're hitting the mark in their practice. A highly effective method is self-assessment. This lesson describes techniques educators can use to evaluate and tweak their performance.
13. Advancing Professional Knowledge & Practice in Middle School Education
Professional development is a critical component in improving the quality of teaching. Many teachers, however, are unclear about the various ways to access the professional development we need. This lesson will look at how educators can access and apply professional development to improve their teaching practices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards