About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency - Chapter Summary
When you sit for the CEOE Reading Specialist exam, you will be expected to show you understand the topic of reading fluency. Study.com has prepared a set of lessons that provide instruction in such areas as:
- How oral fluency relates to reading comprehension
- Word recognition and the role played by phonics and sight words
- Getting the student familiar with high frequency words
- Improving reading by using reading fluency
- Methods for improving reading accuracy
- Automaticity and fluency teaching strategies
- The definition and instruction of prosody
- Sight word automaticity
- Consonant blends and digraphs
- Decoding and phonics instructional strategies
- What do decoding and encoding have to do with each other in language
- How to improve reading fluency
- Developing reading prosody
Lessons are taught by way of video presentations. We have added tools to make it easy and enjoyable. Lessons are short, they have a transcript and there is a short quiz at the end to gauge your understanding. A timeline tool uses key words to help you navigate the lessons. The tool will take you to a specific location in a video if you need to take another look at something. We include a way to make lesson content into flashcards if you so desire. See for yourself!
1. Oral Fluency & Its Relationship to Reading Comprehension
Oral reading fluency is an important element of reading comprehension. This lesson will explore that connection for teachers seeking to improve oral fluency with their students.
2. The Role of Phonics & Sight Words in Word Recognition
Teachers of young readers need to have strategies for teaching phonics and sight words in their tool bag. This lesson discusses the role of these two strategies in the development of word recognition and reading development.
3. Familiarizing Students with High Frequency Words
Watch this video lesson to learn what you as an educator can do to help students learn to read with confidence. Learn why learning the high frequency words is beneficial, if not crucial, to becoming a competent reader.
4. Teaching Reading Fluency to Improve Reading Comprehension
Fluency is one of the key pillars of good reading instruction. This lesson will give you some ideas about teaching fluency and explain how fluency enhances reading comprehension.
5. Strategies for Improving Reading Rate & Accuracy
In this lesson, we learn to identify a student's current reading rate, level of fluency and mastery, and most importantly, learn the necessary strategies to enhance these skills.
6. Strategies for Teaching Automaticity & Fluency
Learn why fluency is important to reading comprehension and what strategies the experts recommend to improve a reader's accuracy, speed, and rhythm. You'll find out the basics of repeated reading and other techniques for teaching fluency.
7. Prosody: Definition, Elements & Instruction
This lesson will introduce prosody and the various elements of it by providing examples from a sample text. We'll also explain some ways to improve prosody.
8. Promoting & Assessing Sight Word Automaticity
One of the most important ways to help emergent readers gain in competence and fluency is by promoting their awareness of sight words. In this lesson, learn how to assess students' knowledge of sight words and how to promote development of automaticity.
9. How to Recognize Consonant Digraphs & Blends
Have you ever wondered why two letters combine to make one sound? In this lesson, we'll explain consonant digraphs and blends and show you how to recognize them in English language.
10. Teaching Decoding Reading Strategies
Learning how to decode properly is a key aspect of learning to read. This lesson introduces you to some of the fundamentals of teaching children how to decode when reading.
11. The Connection Between Decoding & Encoding in Language
Young children learning to read and write rely on decoding and encoding skills. This lesson defines both these terms, explains the interplay between the two, and gives examples of what instruction of decoding and encoding look like in a classroom.
12. Strategies for Improving Students' Reading Fluency
Learning to read includes more than just decoding words. Students need to build fluency to be solid readers. How can teachers help? This lesson outlines several strategies to help students improve fluency in reading.
13. How to Develop Prosody in Reading
Prosody is an important part of fluency in reading. This lesson will help you understand more about what prosody is, as well as how to help your students develop it.
14. Teaching Strategies for Phonics & Sight Words
Learning about phonics is a crucial aspect of learning to read and write. This lesson offers concrete strategies for teaching phonics and sight words.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards