About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have put together a set of effective lessons that will prepare you for success on the CEOE Reading Specialist test. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be ready for any exam items about:
- Reading comprehension strategies
- Techniques and strategies for close reading
- Mapping a speech for improving note-taking skills
- Strategies for improving your reading using visualization
- Students' use of reflection questions
- Strategies for comprehension monitoring
This chapter features short, 5-10 minute videos that come with a transcript of the material presented. Also included is a timeline tool that uses keywords for reference. A short quiz at the end of the lesson shows you if there is anything you need to restudy. If so, the timeline tool allows you to go directly to the quiz content that you didn't get the first time. We make preparing for the CEOE Reading Specialist test enjoyable.
1. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
2. Close Reading: Strategies & Techniques
In this lesson you will learn what it is to read closely. You will explore strategies and techniques for close reading a text, including highlighting anything that is surprising to you and asking and answering questions about the text.
3. Improving your Note-taking Skills: Strategies for Mapping a Speech
When attending a speaking event, the tendency is to listen to what the speaker has to say. But it is equally important to take careful notes to determine the central idea of the speech.
4. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
5. Reflection Questions for Students
This lesson provides a basic overview of the reflection process and includes questions that will prompt students to begin the reflection process. In addition, tips are given to help teachers assist students to begin thinking reflectively.
6. Comprehension Monitoring Strategies
There's much more to reading than simply sounding out words. Novice readers must also learn how to self-monitor for comprehension. Today's lesson takes a look at how the use of pausing, self-questioning, and self-diagnosis can help them in this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards