About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will enhance what you already know about research-based instruction to get you ready for the CEOE Reading Specialist exam. Our instructors will be presenting lessons on such topics as:
- Developmental, behavioral, cognitive, social cognitive and constructivist perspectives
- The application of psychology in the classroom
- Effective learning strategies in the classroom
- How to become an effective teacher
- Interactive, collaborative, hands-on and expository instructional strategies
- Definition and theory of cooperative learning
- Definitions and comparison of direct instruction versus discovery instruction
- Definition of reciprocal teaching with strategies and examples
Our subject matter experts show their enthusiasm for the subject in a series of short and engaging videos. We provide you with a written transcript to follow along with the expert and a quiz at the end of the video will test your understanding of what was just presented. If you miss a quiz question you can easily find the exact spot on the video that contains the correct answer by using our unique timeline tool. We make your CEOE test prep fun!
1. Behavioral, Cognitive, Developmental, Social Cognitive & Constructivist Perspectives
How do different people learn? Not everyone agrees. In educational psychology, there are many differing perspectives. This lesson will differentiate between the following psychological perspectives: behavioral, cognitive, developmental, social cognitive and constructivist.
2. Educational Psychology: Applying Psychology in the Classroom
What is educational psychology? Anyone who has experienced a classroom setting has been affected by the theories and techniques that come from this subfield of psychology. Learn about the main ideas within this popular area of study and application.
3. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
4. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
5. Instructional Strategies: Hands-On, Interactive, Expository & Collaborative
In this lesson, we will use the fictional Academy of Magic to illustrate four types of instructional strategies that teachers use in the classroom: expository instruction, interactive instruction, hands-on instruction and collaborative instruction.
6. What is Cooperative Learning? - Definition & Theory
This lesson will teach you about cooperative learning, which has been linked to better social and academic development in students. We'll explore the basics and some of the underlying theories that support this instructional methodology.
7. Direct Instruction & Discovery Instruction: Definition & Differences
Two of the most popular teaching strategies are direct instruction and discovery instruction, which are frequently discussed in contrast with each other. In this lesson, we define each type of instruction and discuss the differences between the two.
8. Cooperative and Collaborative Learning in the Classroom
It's extremely common for teachers to require students to work in groups. However, certain types of groups and activities are preferred over others. In this lesson, we define cooperative learning and discuss its advantages in the classroom. We also define collaborative learning and explain how it is different than cooperative learning.
9. Expository Approaches to Instruction
Good expository instruction goes beyond just giving information to students. In this lesson, we describe effective expository instruction and how it is used to structure lessons in a way that optimizes learning.
10. Collaborative Team Teaching Models & Strategies
Many schools are using team teaching in order to support the needs of a variety of students. This lesson will introduce you to the various models of team teaching as well as strategies to support a successful partnership.
11. Reciprocal Teaching: Strategies, Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will define reciprocal teaching as a discussion between teachers and students about reading material and explain the strategies used in the activity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards