About This Chapter
CEOE Reading Specialist: Types of Texts - Chapter Summary
You can review fun videos and lesson transcripts to brush up on various types of texts you will be asked to analyze and understand on the CEOE Reading Specialist exam. After you're done with the chapter, you'll be all set for questions on the test that deal with:
- How structure in writing affects meaning
- Types and characteristics of narrative writing
- Kinds of narrative techniques
- Types of expository text
- Different kinds of persuasion
- Various rhetorical techniques
In addition to reviewing the lessons, you can gauge your readiness to take the exam by completing self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. Review the lessons any time, day or night, and even access them from your mobile devices to absorb the materials at a comfortable pace. If you have questions about topics in the lessons, submit them to our professional instructors who are eager to assist.
1. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
2. What is Narrative Writing? - Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what makes a piece of writing a narrative. Examples are also given to illustrate the specific types of narrative writing.
3. Narrative Techniques in Writing: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine various types of narrative techniques in writing, as well as examples of the literary techniques relevant to style, plot, and perspective/point of view.
4. What is Expository Text? - Definition, Types & Examples
Expository text exposes you to facts: plain and simple. In this lesson, you will learn how to understand and identify expository text. You will be able to distinguish between expository and narrative text and understand why this distinction is important.
5. Fact vs. Persuasion vs. Informed Opinion in Nonfiction
How do you know what to believe and what to doubt? Watch this video lesson to learn how to differentiate between facts, persuasion, and informed opinions.
6. What is Persuasive Text? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you how to identify all components of persuasive writing. You'll learn more about informational texts and test your understanding through a brief quiz.
7. Rhetorical Techniques in Persuasive Texts
Are you making a persuasive speech or writing a persuasive essay? Or are you a consumer who reads ads? If so, this lesson will help you understand different techniques used to influence an audience.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Foundations of Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- CEOE Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle & Spelling
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Influences on Reading Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Instructional Trends & Movements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Interpreting Texts
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Strategies for Students
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Text Elements
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environments
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Analyzing Assessment Results
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities & Intervention
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Professional Development
- CEOE Reading Specialist: Collaborating with Parents & Communities
- OSAT Reading Specialist (CEOE) (015) Flashcards