About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Planning with Life Insurance chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the life insurance topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the life insurance topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- How to choose a life insurance policy
- Life insurance companies
- Accidental death benefits, and other potential riders on a life insurance policy
- Types of life insurance, including whole and term
- Standard provisions in life insurance policies
Focus on Personal Finance is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill and is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Choosing a Life Insurance Policy
In this lesson, we'll discuss the purpose and benefits of life insurance, as well as the factors that affects its cost. You'll also learn about the two main types, term life insurance and whole life insurance.
2. How to Estimate Life Insurance Requirements
When it comes to purchasing life insurance, you need to make sure you are purchasing enough coverage to cover all your financial needs upon your death. Read this lesson to learn what methods you can use to calculate your requirements.
3. Life Insurance Companies: Definition & Types
When it comes to selecting a life insurance policy, you have two types of companies to choose from. Learn what these two types are and what makes them different.
4. Term Life Insurance: Definition & Forms
After reading this lesson, you will become more familiar with the different types of term life insurance that you can choose from. You will learn how each is designed to meet specific needs of different people.
5. Whole Life Insurance: Definition & Forms
In this lesson, we will learn about some of the different forms of whole life insurance you can buy. We will also discover how whole life insurance protects you for your whole life. Read on to see which policy meets your needs.
6. Important Life Insurance Policy Provisions
In this lesson, we'll define life insurance, the insured, insurer and beneficiary. You'll also learn about various provisions that protect the company, policyholder and recipient of the death benefit.
7. What is a Rider on a Life Insurance Policy?
When you purchase a life insurance policy, you can also purchase additional options called riders, which allow you to customize your life insurance policy to suit your needs. Read this lesson to learn about some of the riders available to you.
8. How to Buy Life Insurance: Steps & Choices
Not everyone has or wants life insurance, but for those that want that extra security or want to pass on a sum of money when they die, choosing the right life insurance is a fairly big decision. Learn what steps to take in this lesson.
9. Annuities: Types & Benefits
In this lesson, we'll define annuity and learn about the two main types of annuities. We'll also discuss three annuity investment options, including the benefits and disadvantages of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Focus on Personal Finance: Online Textbook Help course
- Ch. 1: Personal Finance Planning
- Ch. 2: Money Management Skills
- Ch. 3: Taxes in a Financial Plan
- Ch. 4: Financial Services
- Ch. 5: Consumer Credit
- Ch. 6: Buying Motor Vehicles
- Ch. 7: Financing Housing
- Ch. 8: Insurance
- Ch. 9: Health & Disability Insurance
- Ch. 11: Investing Basics
- Ch. 12: Investing in Stocks
- Ch. 13: Investing in Mutual Funds
- Ch. 14: Retirement & Estate Planning
- App. A: Education Loans & Scholarships
- App. B: Career Search Strategy
- App. C: Consumer Agencies & Organizations
- App. D: Daily Spending Diary