About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Insurance chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the insurance topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the insurance topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Personal property and liability insurance
- Home insurance policies
- Bodily injury coverage
- Managing risk
Focus on Personal Finance is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill and is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Personal Risk Management Methods
When it comes to your financial investments, each investment you make has a certain amount of risk associated with it. Read this lesson to learn how you can manage the amount of risk you have to match your needs.
2. Ways to Manage Risk: Insurable and Uninsurable Risk
Risks abound in life and in business. However, most risks can be managed. In this lesson, you'll learn about ways to manage risks. You'll also learn the difference between insurable and uninsurable risks. A short quiz follows.
3. Understanding Insurance Policies and Risk Management
Obtaining insurance is one of the most common methods of risk management. In this lesson, you'll learn about insurance policies and some key concepts related to insurance. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
4. Reducing the Cost of Personal Events: Strategies & Types
After reading this lesson, you'll get some ideas for how you can plan financially for some of life's unexpected events. With careful planning, you will see how you can reduce your overall cost.
5. Personal Property & Liability Insurance
In this lesson, we'll define liability and discuss how liability insurance can protect your personal property. You'll learn about four different types of liability coverage: homeowner, renter, auto and personal umbrella policies.
6. Home Insurance Policy: Forms & Examples
Read this lesson to learn about the different forms of home insurance you can get. Each covers a set of dangers that can potentially affect your home and your belongings. Learn the differences in this lesson.
7. Home Insurance Coverage: Costs & Types
After reading this lesson, you will be able to figure out how much home insurance you need based on your circumstances. You will also understand how the type of home and the personal belongings you have affect how much insurance you need.
8. Bodily Injury Coverage: Definition & Types
If you drive, you have a very real possibility of getting into an accident, so it is required to have car insurance when you drive. In this lesson, you'll learn about the bodily injury coverage part of car insurance.
9. Property Damage Coverage: Definition & Types
After reading this lesson, you will be more familiar how auto insurance covers damage done to physical objects in an accident. You'll learn that you will need to purchase a special type of insurance to insure your own vehicle when you are at fault.
10. No-Fault Auto Insurance: Definition & Example
If you drive, you may be required to purchase car insurance. Some states offer a special type of insurance called no-fault insurance. Learn more about it in this lesson.
11. Auto Insurance Coverage: Costs & Premiums
Read this lesson to learn how the type of car and where you park it can determine whether your premiums are higher or lower. You'll also learn some other ways you can save on your auto insurance premiums.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Focus on Personal Finance: Online Textbook Help course
- Ch. 1: Personal Finance Planning
- Ch. 2: Money Management Skills
- Ch. 3: Taxes in a Financial Plan
- Ch. 4: Financial Services
- Ch. 5: Consumer Credit
- Ch. 6: Buying Motor Vehicles
- Ch. 7: Financing Housing
- Ch. 9: Health & Disability Insurance
- Ch. 10: Planning with Life Insurance
- Ch. 11: Investing Basics
- Ch. 12: Investing in Stocks
- Ch. 13: Investing in Mutual Funds
- Ch. 14: Retirement & Estate Planning
- App. A: Education Loans & Scholarships
- App. B: Career Search Strategy
- App. C: Consumer Agencies & Organizations
- App. D: Daily Spending Diary