About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Health & Disability chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the health and disability insurance topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the insurance topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Key provisions of the Affordable Care Act
- How COBRA allows an employee to keep their health insurance after leaving employment
- Different types of insurance that are available in the United States
- Provisions and regulations of health insurance
- Structure and costs of health care
Focus on Personal Finance is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill and is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Health Insurance: Types & Concept
Did you know that there are an estimated 1 billion health insurance claims filed each year? Learn more about the different types of health insurance that are available in the United States.
2. Group & Individual Insurance: Comparison Pros & Cons
After reading this lesson, you will know how individual and group insurances are different. You will know the pros and cons of each. You can then choose the one that works best for you.
3. COBRA: Overview and Importance
Health insurance is one of the most important benefits an employee receives. In this lesson, you'll learn how COBRA allows an employee to keep his insurance coverage after he has left employment. A short quiz follows.
4. Types of Health Insurance Coverage
Read this lesson to learn about the different types of health insurance you can purchase. Learn what basic health insurance covers along with what types of extra insurance you can purchase to cover your medical needs.
5. Health Insurance Policy Provisions
Read this lesson to gain an understanding of how the Affordable Care Act impacts health insurance policy provisions You'ill learn what types of benefits your health insurance is required to cover.
6. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
7. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
8. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
9. The Affordable Care & Patient Protection Act: Key Provisions
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Affordable Care Act and how it impacts individuals with and without health insurance. You'll also learn what benefits it provides to those with health insurance.
10. Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Insurance
Have you ever wondered how people are able to pay their bills if they suddenly cannot work due to illness or injury? In this lesson, we'll define long-term and short-term disability. You'll also learn about the activities of daily living and Social Security benefits.
11. Health Care Costs: Trends & Reducing Personal Costs
After reading this lesson, you will see why health care costs are rising and how the Affordable Care Act has affected this rise in prices. You'll also learn some ways you can help lower your medical costs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Focus on Personal Finance: Online Textbook Help course
- Ch. 1: Personal Finance Planning
- Ch. 2: Money Management Skills
- Ch. 3: Taxes in a Financial Plan
- Ch. 4: Financial Services
- Ch. 5: Consumer Credit
- Ch. 6: Buying Motor Vehicles
- Ch. 7: Financing Housing
- Ch. 8: Insurance
- Ch. 10: Planning with Life Insurance
- Ch. 11: Investing Basics
- Ch. 12: Investing in Stocks
- Ch. 13: Investing in Mutual Funds
- Ch. 14: Retirement & Estate Planning
- App. A: Education Loans & Scholarships
- App. B: Career Search Strategy
- App. C: Consumer Agencies & Organizations
- App. D: Daily Spending Diary