About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Quadratic Equations and Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The definition of a parabola
- Standard, intercept and vertex form parabolas
- Solving and graphing quadratic inequalities
- The definition of a quadratic equation
- The factoring method for solving quadratic equations
- Methods for completing the square
- The use of the quadratic formula to solve equations
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
2. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
3. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
4. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
5. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
6. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
7. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
8. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
9. Solving Problems using the Quadratic Formula
The quadratic formula is not as complicated as it may look. You can learn to tackle this formula and succeed in using it to help you solve your quadratic problems. Watch this video to see how.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Chapter 1: Variables, Function Patterns, and Graphs
- Chapter 2: Rational Numbers
- Chapter 3: Solving Equations
- Chapter 4: Solving Inequalities
- Chapter 5: Graphs and Functions
- Chapter 6: Linear Equations and Their Graphs
- Chapter 7: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Chapter 8: Exponents and Exponential Functions
- Chapter 9: Polynomials and Factoring
- Chapter 11: Radical Expressions and Equations
- Chapter 12: Rational Expressions and Functions