About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Prentice Hall Radical Expressions and Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The factoring of radical equations
- The simplifying of square roots of powers
- The division of radical expressions
- Adding and subtracting using radical notation
- Multiplying radical expressions
- Rationalizing denominators
- The steps for solving radical equations with two radical terms
- Radical functions
- Trigonometric ratios
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
2. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
3. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
4. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
5. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
6. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
7. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
8. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
9. What is a Radical Function? - Definition, Equations & Graphs
Radical functions operate very differently than regular functions. This lesson covers the definitions, equations, and graphs that you will need to know to be successful with radical functions.
10. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Chapter 1: Variables, Function Patterns, and Graphs
- Chapter 2: Rational Numbers
- Chapter 3: Solving Equations
- Chapter 4: Solving Inequalities
- Chapter 5: Graphs and Functions
- Chapter 6: Linear Equations and Their Graphs
- Chapter 7: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Chapter 8: Exponents and Exponential Functions
- Chapter 9: Polynomials and Factoring
- Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations and Functions
- Chapter 12: Rational Expressions and Functions