About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Right Triangles and Trigonometry chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the right triangles and trigonometry topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The geometric mean formula
- The Pythagorean theorem
- Different properties of right triangles
- Kinds of special right triangles
- What a trigonometric ratio is
- The law of sines
- The law of cosines
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
3. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
4. Geometric Mean: Definition and Formula
Watch this video lesson to learn how different the geometric mean is from the arithmetic mean, or average, that we are all so familiar with. Learn in what circumstance the geometric mean is preferred. Also, learn the formula and how to use it.
5. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
6. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
7. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
8. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
9. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
10. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Larson Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Chapter 1: Essentials of Geometry
- Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- Chapter 5: Relationship Within Triangles
- Chapter 6: Similarities
- Chapter 8: Quadrilaterals
- Chapter 9: Properties of Transformations
- Chapter 10: Properties of Circles
- Chapter 11: Measurements of Figures and Solids
- Chapter 12: Probability