About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help summarizing the chapters from the novel Wuthering Heights will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn every chapter of Wuthering Heights as well as the overall plot. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the major events and characters in each chapter of Wuthering Heights
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with a chapter exam about the summaries of Wuthering Heights
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Chapter Summaries of Wuthering Heights chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Wuthering Heights's chapters for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Chapter summaries all 34 chapters in Wuthering Heights
- A summary of the novel's plot
- The plot climax of Wuthering Heights
1. Plot Timeline of Wuthering Heights
Given its use of a flashback, the plot of Emily Brontë's ''Wuthering Heights'' benefits from a simple timeline, namely helping readers understand the novel's movement from the present, the past, and then back to the present.
2. Plot Climax in Wuthering Heights
A decision by Catherine will determine not only her future, but that of both the Linton and Earnshaw families. When she chooses social position over passion, she sets events in motion that will carry through two generations.
3. Chapter 1 & Opening Scene in Wuthering Heights: Summary & Analysis
Chapter 1 of Emily Brontë's ''Wuthering Heights'' sets the mood by describing the book's isolated location and introducing the character of Mr. Heathcliff, who seems happy to be left alone but is intruded upon by the book's narrator, Lockwood.
4. Wuthering Heights Chapter 2 Summary
The second chapter of Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights' sees Mr. Lockwood headed back up to the titular mansion to see his landlord Heathcliff again. See what happens on this cold and dreary night in this Wuthering Heights chapter 2 summary.
5. Wuthering Heights Chapter 3 Summary
If you are reading 'Wuthering Heights,' you might find the language or the story difficult to follow. Don't worry; in this lesson, we will take a look at the important events from Chapter 3.
6. Wuthering Heights Chapter 4 Summary
Lockwood learns the origin of Heathcliff and about the members of the Earnshaw family from his servant Nelly. Finally, Lockwood can begin to understand why Heathcliff is such a miserable person.
7. Wuthering Heights Chapter 5 Summary
If you're reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte, you may find the language and many characters challenging to follow. In this summary, we will break down the important events from Chapter 5, including how Mr. Earnshaw's failing health affects the family.
8. Wuthering Heights Chapter 6 Summary
In Chapter 6 of Emily Bronte's ''Wuthering Heights'', Catherine's brother Hindley takes control of Wuthering Heights. He consoles himself by spending time with Catherine, until he is attacked by the Linton family.
9. Wuthering Heights Chapter 7 Summary & Analysis
In Chapter 7 of ''Wuthering Heights'', Catherine returns to Wuthering Heights as a proper young lady, and Heathcliff tries to become a gentleman, but that doesn't last long after Hindley and Edgar Linton continue to insult him.
10. Chapter 8 in Wuthering Heights: Summary
In Chapter 8 of Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights', Lockwood is getting all the gory details of how the situation at the house got so bad from his maid, Nelly Dean. Here's what she tells him.
11. Wuthering Heights Chapter 9 Summary & Analysis
This lesson will take a look at the drama-packed Chapter 9 of Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights'. This chapter has it all--a dramatic rescue, a marriage proposal, broken hearts, illness, deaths, and a wedding. Let's take a look!
12. Wuthering Heights Chapter 10 Summary
In Chapter 10 of 'Wuthering Heights,' Heathcliff returns after three years to get revenge on Hindley. And Isabella Linton, now Catherine's sister-in-law, develops a major crush on him.
13. Wuthering Heights Chapter 11 Summary
In Chapter 11 of ''Wuthering Heights'', the love square between Heathcliff, Catherine, Edgar, and Isabella starts to come to a head as Heathcliff puts the moves on Isabella and Edgar gives Catherine an ultimatum.
14. Chapter 12 in Wuthering Heights: Summary
In chapter twelve of ''Wuthering Heights'' by Emily Bronte, Catherine has a psychotic break after locking herself in her room for three days. In this lesson, we will find out more about what happens in chapter 12.
15. Wuthering Heights Chapter 13 Summary
In chapter thirteen of ''Wuthering Heights'' by Emily Bronte, Isabella begins to realize that running away and marrying Heathcliff was a big mistake. In this lesson, we will find out what else happens in chapter 13.
16. Wuthering Heights Chapter 14 Summary
Trying to read ''Wuthering Heights'' can take you to the height of madness. The language is tough to get through and there is lots of drama about love. In this lesson, we will break down the important events in Chapter 14.
17. Wuthering Heights Chapter 15 Summary
In chapter 15 of 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte, Nelly delivers Heathcliff's letter to Catherine just before Heathcliff arrives to see her. In this lesson, we will find out what happens when Edgar returns home from church to find Heathcliff and Catherine together.
18. Wuthering Heights Chapter 16 Summary
Chapter 16 of ''Wuthering Heights'' explores Linton's and Heathcliff's reaction to a tragic event. If you are feeling a bit lost, take a look at this lesson, in which we break down the important events of Chapter 16.
19. Chapter 17 in Wuthering Heights: Summary
In chapter 17 of ''Wuthering Heights'' by Emily Bronte, Heathcliff's grief over Catherine's death compounds his already abusive treatment of Isabella. In this lesson, we find out how much Isabella is willing to take.
20. Wuthering Heights Chapter 18 Summary
The daughter of Edgar and Catherine, Cathy has grown up smart and beautiful. But she longs to see what is outside Thrushcross Grange, and when opportunity presents itself, Cathy escapes from her house and heads to Wuthering Heights.
21. Wuthering Heights Chapters 19-20 Summaries
In chapters 19 and 20 of 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte, Heathcliff's estranged wife Isabella Linton is dead. Their son Linton is brought back to the moors to be reunited with his father. Surprise: it doesn't go well. Here's what happens.
22. Wuthering Heights Chapter 21 Summary
Chapter twenty-one of Emily Bronte's ''Wuthering Heights'' reunites Cathy with her cousin, Linton, and sees Heathcliff attempt to encourage the development of a romantic relationship between the two.
23. Chapter 22 in Wuthering Heights: Summary
After Cathy stops writing Linton and Edgar falls ill, Heathcliff visits Cathy in hopes that he can persuade her to come to Wuthering Heights to speak to Linton. In this lesson, we will learn more about chapter 22 of 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte.
24. Wuthering Heights Chapters 23-26 Summaries
As Linton and Edgar both become more sickly, Heathcliff grows more insistent on encouraging a relationship between Cathy and Linton. In this lesson, we will learn more about Chapters 23-26 of 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte.
25. Wuthering Heights Chapters 27-30 Summaries
Things get dark in Chapters 27-30 of Emily Bronte's novel 'Wuthering Heights.' We start with Heathcliff locking Cathy, Nelly, and Linton in the Heights while Edgar is on his deathbed, and everything spirals from there. Here's how it happens.
26. Conclusion of Wuthering Heights: Chapters 31-34
Nelly is finally finished with her story, and Lockwood is ready to leave the moors for good in the last four chapters of Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights'. Let's jump in and see how the story wraps up.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Wuthering Heights Study Guide course