About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help studying character quotes from The Old Man and the Sea will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to study quotes from the book's characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding The Old Man and the Sea character quotes
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about The Old Man and the Sea character quotes for a standard literature course. You can expect to study quotes from/about the following subjects:
- The Great Joe DiMaggio
- The marlin, sharks and lions
1. The Old Man and the Sea Quotes: Santiago, Santiago's Hands & Santiago's Pain
Santiago is an old fisherman and the protagonist in Ernest Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea'. The pain that develops in his hands during his struggles helps to push this story of fortitude and perseverance forward.
2. Quotes About the Marlin in The Old Man and the Sea
The marlin in Ernest Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' is an important creature who is described as beautiful, magnificent, and determined by Santiago. In this lesson, we will look at quotes about the marlin.
3. Manolin Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
In Ernest Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea', the young boy Manolin is an important character because he supports Santiago despite everybody else having given up on him. In this lesson, we will look at quotes by and about Manolin to understand his role in the story.
4. Quotes About Lions in The Old Man and the Sea
This lesson will cover quotes about lions playing on the beach from 'The Old Man and the Sea' that create a motif and help reveal the deeper meaning in the novella.
5. Quotes About Sharks in The Old Man and the Sea
Sharks present tension and a thematic representation of death in Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. They also illustrate the tenacious character of Santiago, the old man who will not give up.
6. Quotes About The Great Joe DiMaggio in The Old Man and the Sea
Joe DiMaggio is bigger than God in Ernest Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'', and the source of motivation for Santiago, despite the unimaginable pain the old man is suffering.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Old Man and the Sea Study Guide course
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary Analysis
- Themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Literary Devices in The Old Man and the Sea
- Symbols in The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Characters
- Thematic Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Summaries
- Teaching The Old Man and the Sea