About This Chapter
Characteristics & Effects of Emotional Impairments - Chapter Summary
In this series of lessons and quizzes, our expert instructors clearly lay out the characteristics and effects of emotional impairments. Topics covered include emotional growth, emotional disorders and the effects of emotional impairments across the lifespan. Our informative chapter is designed to help you meet the following objectives:
- Provide an overview and definition of emotional growth
- Detail the different types of emotional disorders
- Outline the symptoms of emotional disturbances
- Discuss how emotional and behavioral disorders impact students
- Describe the effects of emotional impairment on social/emotional development, language and communication
This chapter is mobile friendly so you can study any time that works well for you. Each one of our lessons is coupled with a self-assessment quiz to help you track your progress through the chapter. Use the Dashboard to reach out to one of our instructors with any questions that you might have.
1. Emotional Growth: Definition & Overview
Ever wonder why you cry at the end of 'Old Yeller'? Or why you get so mad when your favorite football team loses? It's based on emotions, and those responses you have come from your childhood development. This lesson will cover emotions, how they develop, and how they can be used!
2. What is an Emotional Disorder? - Definition & Types
This lesson provides a general definition of emotional disorder and discusses the different types of such disorders. Emotional disorders are broken down into two broad categories, mood and anxiety disorders, and the sub-types of these disorders are also defined.
3. Emotional Disturbance: Definition & Symptoms
Understanding difficulties students may have is the first step in being able to support them academically. This lesson reviews the definition and symptoms of emotional disturbances, as well some of the common disorders that fall under this umbrella term.
4. Students with Emotional or Behavioral Disorders
Working with students who have emotional or behavioral disorders requires a unique awareness along with special accommodations. This lesson will explore the issues faced by these students and will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
5. Effects of Emotional Impairment on Social & Emotional Development
If you are a teacher who works with students with emotional impairment, you are probably interested in their overall trajectory for social and emotional development. This lesson discusses some common trends across a life span.
6. Effects of Emotional Impairment on Language & Communication Development
Emotional impairment is a term for several issues a child may have that negatively affects their learning and life skills. Among the areas often impacted are their listening, attention, and language skills. In this lesson we will discuss how and why.
7. Effects of Emotional Impairments Across the Lifespan
As a special education teacher, you may be wondering how your students' disabilities might impact the rest of their lives. This lesson addresses the effects of emotional impairments across the lifespan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Emotional Impairment (059): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development Basics
- The Educational Psychology of Emotional Impairments
- Psychiatric & Pharmacological Elements of Emotional Impairments
- Influential Factors on Development & Learning
- Using Education & Psychological Assessments
- Education Assessments for Emotional Impairments
- Interpreting Assessments & Emotional Impairment Reports
- Monitoring Students with Emotional Impairments
- IEPs for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Transition Planning for Students with Emotional Impairment in Michigan
- Behavior Intervention Plans for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Behavioral Interventions for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Learning Environments for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Curriculum for Students with Disabilities
- Teaching Strategies for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Individualized Instruction for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Technology for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Communication Skills in the Classroom
- Social Skills for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Life Skills for Students with Emotional Impairments
- Communicating & Collaborating with Students with Emotional Impairments & Their Parents
- School & Community Partnerships
- Foundations of SPED for Students with Emotional Impairments in Michigan
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Roles of Educators of Students with Emotional Impairments
- MTTC Emotional Impairment Flashcards