About This Chapter
Characteristics of Earth & the Solar System - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a high-level overview of major solar system structures and phenomena. As you move through the chapter, you'll find lessons that examine the solar system's planets, asteroids, meteorites and sun. You'll also study the ways in which these solar system structures interact and affect each other, which results in eclipses, tide changes and the different phases of the moon. After completing the lessons in the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify major structures in our solar system
- Understand the characteristics of solar system planets, meteorites, asteroids and comets
- Describe the interactions between the sun, Earth and moon
- Explain how tides are influenced by the moon, sun and gravity
- Know how the phases of the moon are influenced by the Earth and sun
- Recognize different types of eclipses
These short and engaging lessons clearly define solar system terminology and explain their characteristics in an easy-to-understand manner. Our instructors' simplified teaching styles help you quickly study and retain these earth science and astronomy concepts. After completing each lesson, try taking the accompanying lesson quiz to test your understanding of the material. You can reach out to our instructors if you have any questions and print word-for-word lesson transcripts for further study. The chapter is available at any time that's convenient and you can access the lessons on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
2. Major Characteristics of Planets in the Solar System
This lesson will go over some characteristics of the planets in our solar system with respect to their masses, diameters, temperatures, densities, and rotation.
3. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
4. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
5. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
6. What is an Eclipse? - Definition & Types
This lesson will explain what an eclipse is and the various types of eclipses, particularly from the vantage point of the earth. A short quiz will follow.
7. Asteroids, Meteorites & Comets: Definitions and Characteristics
This lesson will cover the definitions and characteristics of asteroids, comets and meteorites. It will also explore what impact they have had on Earth and the impact they might have in the future.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Virginia SOL - Earth Science: Test Prep & Practice course
- Measurements in Earth Science
- Conducting Earth Science Experiments
- Scientific Reasoning & Logic
- Space Exploration
- Earth's Natural Resources
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Earth's Freshwater Resources
- Fossils & Geologic Time
- Ocean & Coastal Processes
- Evolution of the Atmosphere
- Climate, Weather & Energy Transferring
- Origin & Evolution of the Universe
- Virginia SOL - Earth Science Flashcards