About This Chapter
Characteristics of Human Relationships - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to review the characteristics of human relationships. Our expert instructors compare different types of interpersonal and family relationships through concise definitions and illustrative examples. Complete each lesson to improve your understanding of concepts like codependency, positive reinforcement and disrespect in relationships. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Outline the functions of interpersonal relationships
- Compare types of family systems
- Describe kin and family relationship types
- Recognize signs and behaviors that indicate disrespect in relationships and marriages
- Differentiate between codependency and positive reinforcement in regards to relationship interactions
Following each lesson is a short quiz that's designed to reinforce your knowledge. Take the chapter exam to master the material, and revisit the lessons if you need to review a specific human relationship topic further. The chapter also includes a handy Ask the Expert feature that you can use whenever you have any questions about the material. You can access the chapter at any time that fits your schedule, and you'll be able to study on any device that has a connection to the Internet.
1. Interpersonal Relationships: Types & Functions
In this lesson, we'll look at the interpersonal relationships we experience in life. In particular, we'll explore the four most common types, what these relationships do for us, and how some relationships come to an end.
2. Family Systems: Definition and Types
Families come in all shapes and sizes. In this lesson, we'll examine what makes a family, as well as some common types of families, including nuclear, matrifocal, extended, and blended families.
3. Types of Family & Kin Relationships
In this lesson, you will explore several types of family and kinship relationships that are used across the world and across time. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Disrespect in Relationships & Marriage: Signs & Behavior
Most of us desire to be respected in a relationship or marriage, but sometimes disrespect creeps in. In this lesson, you'll learn the signs and behaviors that are considered disrespectful in a relationship or marriage.
5. Interactions in Relationships: Codependency vs. Positive Reinforcement
Enabling and positive reinforcement are two terms used to describe how people can interact with one another in their relationships. One of these terms reinforces good behavior and the other reinforces bad behavior. Do you know which is which?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041): Study Guide & Practice course
- Relationship Conflict & Communication
- Overview of Family Changes & Transitions
- Factors Affecting Relationships
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Influences on Human Growth & Development
- Beginning the Parenting Process
- Parenting Process
- Family Resources
- Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- Nutrition Needs Across the Lifespan
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Overview of Food Preparation
- Food Safety & Storage
- Personal & Family Wellness
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Consumer Behavior & Rights
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041) Flashcards