About This Chapter
Characteristics of Strategic Thinking in Business - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors boost your corporate training program with an introduction in the basic concepts of strategic thinking. We highlight some definitions related to the topic and discuss the importance of strategic thinking within an organization with video lessons on:
- Business applications for strategic thinking
- Attributes of strategic thinkers
- Strategic thinking as a habit
These informative lessons are delivered by expert business instructors and supply critical knowledge in a succinct, enjoyable form. You can use the assessments both as checks on understanding and as fodder for group discussion.
How It Helps
- Expands vision: Managers who gain a thorough understanding of the role of strategic thinking in the business will actively push their team to think broader and with more ownership of their work.
- Informs risk-taking: Risk management is more useful than risk aversion for long-term growth, and teaching employees to consider the long view in their risk assessments will lead to greater balance and success.
- Activates talent: Great ideas often come from small places, and these videos will help draw that talent out of your staff.
By the end of this chapter, your employees will be able to:
- Define strategic thinking in business and provide examples
- Describe and apply the five attributes expressed in strategic thinking
- Develop strategic thinking habits
1. Strategic Business Thinking: Definition & Examples
During this lesson, we'll define the term 'strategic business thinking' and provide examples of the process. The lesson will also expound on each component that makes up strategic business thinking.
2. The Five Attributes of Strategic Thinkers
There are five key attributes that strategic thinkers use to manage their businesses. Use the steps and examples in this lesson to strengthen your own strategic thinking skills.
3. Habits of Strategic Thinkers
Developing the habits of a strategic thinker can change mediocre plans into exceptional ones. This lesson provides helpful suggestions for becoming a strategic thinker.
4. Practical Application: Assessing Personal Strategic Thinking Competencies
Strategic thinking can make organizations and organizational leaders better. But how can you know if you are a strategic thinker? This self-assessment encourages you to rate and then reflect on your own strategic thinking skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Developing Strategic Thinking in Business course