About This Chapter
Characteristics & Organization of Organisms - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll study the characteristics and organization of different types of organisms on the planet Earth. Our instructors focus in on the functions and structures of unicellular and multicellular organisms and explain their key differences. You'll also see how these organism groups are organized in the study of biology. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the characteristics, organization, functions and structure of living organisms
- Identify unicellular organisms
- Explain how multicellular organisms are organized in a hierarchical structure
- Differentiate between organisms in terms of their structures and specialized functions
Work through this chapter at your own pace using the device that you prefer. You'll have the opportunity to reinforce your knowledge by taking the included lesson quizzes and chapter exam. If you get stuck or need clarification on a lesson topic, simply take advantage of our Ask the Expert feature. The chapter is available around the clock, which helps you study whenever you have free time in your schedule.
1. Characteristics of Living Things
Have you ever wondered what makes something alive? Learn more about the characteristics that classify something as living. These shared traits can be observed in all living things in the world around us.
2. Living Organisms: Organization, Functions & Structure
In this lesson, you'll learn about living organisms and how they're structured and organized. You'll also discover how the larger functions of organisms are spread into smaller parts. Then, take a quiz to test what you've learned.
3. Unicellular Organisms: Definition & Examples
Life takes a great variety of forms. This world is home to many simple organisms that live in a variety of environments. In this lesson, we will examine unicellular organisms to gain a better understanding of them.
4. The Hierarchical Organization of Multicellular Organisms
In this lesson, we'll be exploring the awesome organization of living things. If you've ever wondered how microscopic cells could possibly produce a living human being, this lesson is for you.
5. Specialized Functions & Structures: Differences Between Organisms
All organisms have many of the same basic needs and perform the same functions such as eating, drinking, and reproducing. In this lesson we'll look at how different organisms accomplish these tasks with different structures that in the end lead to the same result.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Biological Sciences (CEOE) (010): Study Guide & Practice course
- Scientific Inquiry Overview
- Scientific Inquiry Process
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Basic Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Cell Biology
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Cell Cycle & Cell Division
- DNA, RNA & Gene Expression
- Types & Effects of Genetic Mutations
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Classical & Molecular Genetics
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant Growth and Reproduction
- Animal Reproduction & Development
- Overview of Human Anatomy & Body Systems
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere