About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the characters within James & the Giant Peach will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to explore the qualities of the book's characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their studying of the characters in James & the Giant Peach
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the James & the Giant Peach Characters practice exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the James & the Giant Peach Characters practice exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters of James & the Giant Peach for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- A close look at James' character
- The roles of Miss Spider and Centipede
- The characters of Grasshopper and Earthworm
- Ladybug and silkworm
- James' aunts
- The parts played by the Cloud Men and Crocodile Tongues
- Fleshing out the characters of Glow-Worm, Rhinoceros and the Magic Man
1. James in James & the Giant Peach
In 'James & the Giant Peach,' the main character, James, goes through some hard times. But he learns many lessons and comes out a stronger, happier person by the end of the story. Let's discuss James and some of his important character traits.
2. Miss Spider in James & the Giant Peach
Imagine you're about to begin a dangerous journey on a giant piece of magic fruit. Who would you like to accompany you? Believe it or not, a giant spider might be an excellent choice! Read on to learn about Miss Spider from James & the Giant Peach.
3. Centipede in James & the Giant Peach
James & the Giant Peach features a colorful cast of characters who accompany James on his epic journey, none of whom are more aggravating or entertaining than Centipede! Keep reading to learn more about James' partner!
4. Grasshopper in James & the Giant Peach
This lesson is about the character Old Green Grasshopper in 'James and the Giant Peach' by Roald Dahl. James is looking for friends, and with a little magic, he is able to find them. Let's jump right in and learn about the unexpected, but very welcome, friendship between Grasshopper and James.
5. Earthworm in James & the Giant Peach
This lesson is about Earthworm, the large, strange, talking insect in the story 'James and The Giant Peach'. Let's jump right in and learn more about Earthworm and his relationship with James.
6. Ladybug in James & the Giant Peach
This lesson talks about Ladybug - one of the creatures James meets when he finds a giant peach and crawls inside. Find out what makes the Ladybug in 'James and the Giant Peach' so likable.
7. Aunt Spiker in James & the Giant Peach
She's mean and nasty. She treats James like a small insect she can just squish, and she only wants to make money. This lesson talks about Aunt Spiker, an interesting character in James & the Giant Peach.
8. Aunt Sponge in James & the Giant Peach
Aunt Sponge was one of James' family members in James & the Giant Peach. She and Aunt Spiker made James do all of the housework and were very mean to James. Let's read on to learn more about Aunt Sponge and her role in the story.
9. Cloud Men in James & the Giant Peach
Have you ever dreamt of men in the clouds? Maybe in your dreams, these men take care of the weather or paint the pictures you see when looking at the clouds. What if there were ~'Cloud-Men~'? James and his friends meet the cloud men and learn all about them in the story ''James and the Giant Peach''.
10. Crocodile Tongues in James & the Giant Peach
You might be wondering what crocodile tongues have to do with a little boy named James and a giant peach. Find out what happens when James is given a batch of crocodile tongues in the book James & the Giant Peach.
11. Silkworm in James & the Giant Peach
This lesson talks about the Silkworm in 'James & the Giant Peach'. Silkworm is one of the creatures that goes on an incredible adventure with James, traveling from England to New York City in a giant peach.
12. Glow-Worm in James & the Giant Peach
In this lesson, we'll get to know the Glow-worm, one of the creatures who has a grand adventure with a boy named James in 'James and the Giant Peach'. Find out about Glow-worm's special ability and how it helps the group.
13. Magic Man in James & the Giant Peach
This lesson is about the old Magic Man in the story, 'James and The Giant Peach,' by Roald Dahl. This mysterious character has a magical surprise that leads James on an unexpected journey to find happiness and friendship.
14. Rhinoceros in James & the Giant Peach
In 'James and the Giant Peach', by Roald Dahl, James is faced with a horrible tragedy when his parents are killed by a runaway rhinoceros. In this lesson, we'll look at the character of the rhinoceros and what it symbolizes for James throughout the story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the James and the Giant Peach Study Guide course