About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering characters in Siddhartha will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about characters in the novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing details about characters like Kamala, Govinda and Gotama in Siddhartha
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Characters in Siddhartha chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Characters in Siddhartha chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Siddhartha characters for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Siddhartha and Kamala in Siddhartha
- Govinda and Kamaswami in the novel
- Characters Gotama and Vasudeva
- Flashcards and other study materials for Siddhartha characters
1. Siddhartha in Siddhartha
Siddhartha is the title character of Herman Hesse's ''Siddhartha'', and it is through his eyes that we see the story unfold and his Enlightenment won. This lesson provides a brief biography and analysis.
2. Kamala in Siddhartha
Kamala may be one of the most unique heroines in literature. In this lesson, we'll take a look at how a courtesan is transformed into a Buddhist disciple in ''Siddhartha''.
3. Govinda in Siddhartha
In the novel ''Siddhartha,'' Govinda is not only Siddhartha's oldest friend, but he represents how different paths to Enlightenment exist. Also, he proves that sometimes all you need is a little help from your friends.
4. Kamaswami in Siddhartha
You'd be forgiven for getting a mental image of Kamaswami in a nice suit after reading about this businessman's obsession with money in 'Siddhartha'. In this lesson, we'll take a closer look at the character.
5. Gotama in Siddhartha
When Siddhartha meets Gotama the Buddha, he recognizes immediately that Gotama is enlightened, yet he rejects Gotama as a teacher. In this lesson, we will find out more about Gotama in 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse.
6. Vasudeva in Siddhartha
Vasudeva is in many ways one of the most important characters in 'Siddhartha', even if we get the idea that he would just smile and deny it if we were to meet him in real life.
Siddhartha Character List & Flashcards
Become better acquainted with characters and major themes in Herman Hesse's classic Buddhist tale Siddhartha through the information in these flashcards.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.