About This Chapter
Chemical Dynamics & Reaction Rates- Chapter Summary
This chapter of video lessons will focus on different reaction rates that are seen in chemistry. The information within this chapter will help you understand how temperature and catalysts affect reactions. Goals that can be reached in this chapter include:
- Understand what the solubility equilibrium is
- Learn about the rate of chemical reactions
- Explore the difference between endothermic and exothermic reactions
- Explain the collision theory
- Define reaction order
- Comprehend the relationship between the reaction mechanism and reactions
- Identify how temperature affects reactions
- Review how catalysts can speed up a reaction
The video lessons use a timeline feature that makes it easy to watch and rewatch specific topic areas in any order you prefer. You'll find self-assessment quizzes that allow you to gauge your retention of lesson topics. The results of these quizzes are available immediately and provide a quick link back to the lesson topics you missed.
1. Solubility Equilibrium: Using a Solubility Constant (Ksp) in Calculations
Learn the definition of solubility and solubility constant (Ksp) in this lesson. Interpret solubility constants and make calculations involving the dissociation of a slightly soluble compound given molar solubility.
2. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
3. Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions
Explore a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Learn about exothermic and endothermic reactions, what they look like and what happens when they occur. Understand enthalpy and how you can use it to predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic.
4. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
5. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
6. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
7. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
8. Effect of Catalysts on Rates of Reaction
In this video lesson, we will learn how catalysts speed up chemical reactions. We'll also discuss how catalysts are used in industry and consider the catalysts in our own bodies. A short quiz will test your new knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Chemistry: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Measurement in Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Models
- Periodic Table & Periodicity
- Representative Elements
- Compounds of Element Groups
- Types of Chemical Bonding
- Covalent Bonds
- Characteristics of Gases
- Properties of Colloids
- Rates of Chemical Reactions
- Heat, Work & Energy
- Redox Reactions
- Organic Compounds in Chemistry
- Chemical Reaction Mechanisms
- Aliphatic & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Everyday Chemistry
- Chemistry & the Environment
- Relative Molecular Mass & Mole
- Solid State Structure & Properties
- Chemical Equilibria
- Ionic Equilibria
- Electrochemistry & Voltaic Cells
- Coordination Compounds
- Chemistry of p-Block Elements
- Chemistry of Transition & Inner-Transition Elements
- Alkyl & Aryl Halides
- Alcohols & Phenols
- Ethers & Carbonyl Compounds
- Cyanides, Isocyanides & Nitro Compounds
- Polymer Basics
- Types of Biomolecules
- ISC Chemistry Flashcards