About This Chapter
Chemical Kinetics & Electrochemistry - Chapter Summary
Studying the basics of chemical kinetics and electrochemistry is easier than ever thanks to the entertaining lessons in this online chapter. Benefit from access to expert instructors who provide in-depth explorations of topics that include voltaic cell types, Faraday's laws of electrolysis, the rate of a chemical reaction and the Nernst equation. Finishing this chapter will enable you to:
- Describe an electrochemical cell and identify its parts
- Define electrochemistry and discuss free energy and cell potential energy
- Explain how electrolytic cells work and compare them to voltaic cells
- List types and uses of electrolysis
- Share the meaning of electrolysis conductance and discuss Kohlrausch's law
- Discuss the function of a concentration cell
- Exhibit knowledge of chemical kinetics, reaction rate constants and equilibrium constants
- Provide the definition of rate law and discuss its relationship to the rate constant
This chapter is designed to accommodate the busiest schedule. Whether you only have time to study at home or on-the-go, all lessons are accessible around-the-clock and can be viewed using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Find out how much you understand about chemical kinetics and electrochemistry by taking short lesson quizzes and a practice chapter exam. Any questions you develop during your review of this chapter can be submitted to our experts using the Dashboard.
1. Electrochemical Cells and Electrochemistry
Learn to identify the parts of and be able to describe an electrochemical cell, including the electrolyte, electrodes, anodes, and cathodes. Learn how to make a homemade lemon battery and how to diagram an electrochemical cell that will light a light bulb.
2. Electrochemistry: Free Energy and Cell Potential Energy
Our modern lives are totally dependent on electricity. In this lesson, we learn about electricity spontaneously produced by electrochemical cells or batteries. We make the link between the potential energy they produce and Gibbs free energy.
3. Types of Voltaic Cells: Batteries vs. Fuel Cells
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what a voltaic cell is, and distinguish between two types of voltaic cells: batteries and fuel cells. A short quiz will follow.
4. Nernst Equation: Example & Calculator
In this lesson, you'll find out what the battery in your cell phone has to do with the Nernst equation. Through the use of easy-to-understand explanations, you'll have the chance to decode the equation and see how it works under a set of conditions.
5. Electrolytic Cells
You probably use electrolytic cells every day without ever thinking about it! In this lesson, learn all about electrolytic cells, how they work, and how they compare to voltaic cells.
6. Electrolysis: Definition, Types & Uses
Electrolysis is an important chemical process that is used in many different industries. In this lesson, learn about how electrolysis works and a few applications of electrolysis.
7. Faraday's Laws of Electrolysis: Definition & Equation
This lesson is about the quantitative aspects of electrolysis. During electrolysis, there are substances that are produced at the anode and at the cathode. This lesson, with the help of Faraday's laws of electrolysis, will guide you towards calculating amounts of substances formed during electrolysis.
8. Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant & Equilibrium Constant
Are formulas, rate constants, and chemical reactions getting you down? Don't worry, this lesson will explain how reaction rate and equilibrium constants are related to chemical reactions.
9. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
10. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST): Exam Prep course
- Understanding Cell Biology
- Tools for Studying Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Genetics & Mutations
- Ecology & Ecosystems Overview
- Natural Resources & Humans
- Biology & Technology
- Digestive System Overview
- Respiratory System Basics
- Understanding the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Basics
- Nervous System Overview
- Basics of Reproduction
- Developmental Biology
- Diversity of Animal Life
- Immunology Overview
- Plant Structure & Development
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant Growth Processes
- Systematics in Biology
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Stoichiometry Measurements
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Gases in Chemistry
- Principles of Atomic Structure
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Thermodynamics, Energy & Reactions
- Chemical & Ionic Equilibrium
- Crystals & Other Solids in Chemistry
- Properties of Solutions in Chemistry
- Surface Chemistry Overview
- Understanding Elements & Periodic Table Blocks
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Coordination Chemistry & Compounds
- Understanding Metallurgy
- Organic Chemistry Compounds & Groups
- Polymer Basics
- Complex Numbers in Algebra
- Understanding Quadratic Equations
- Progressions, Series & Logarithms
- Matrices in Algebra
- Permutations & Combinations
- Probability in Math
- Fundamental Elements of Trigonometry
- Understanding Analytical Geometry
- Differential Calculus & Functions
- Integration in Calculus
- Understanding Vector Algebra
- Measurement & Experimental Design in Physics
- Principles of Mechanics
- Gravitation Principles
- Mechanics in Solids & Fluids
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Sound & Mechanical Waves
- Overview of Thermodynamics in Physics
- Understanding Principles of Electricity
- Magnetism Overview
- Understanding Ray Optics
- Modern Physics Principles
- National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) Flashcards