About This Chapter
Chemical Reaction Basics - Chapter Summary
Included in this chapter on chemical reactions is an equation for thermal decomposition reactions and methods for identifying common gases. You can also learn about single-displacement reaction. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss chemical reactions found in everyday life
- Write and balance a combustion reaction
- List the parts of the Bunsen burner
- Explain the role of greenhouse gases in global warming
- Define thermal decomposition reactions
- Provide examples of oxidation
- Discuss tests commonly used to identify hydrogen oxygen
- Explain how carbon is used to obtain metals from metal oxides
These lessons are taught using methods that make the material fun to learn and easy to understand. If you find yourself struggling with a topic, you can get help from our instructors. Another nice feature of this resource is the ability to use our brief quizzes to test your comprehension of the material covered in each lesson.
1. Chemical Reactions in Everyday Life
What is a chemical reaction? Learn about some of the many chemical reactions that affect our everyday lives and see how our entire existence is only possible because of them.
2. Writing and Balancing Combustion Reactions
Discover what a combustion reaction is as well as what reactants are needed and what products are produced. Learn to write and balance a combustion reaction. Through the concepts of bond energies, learn how to explain why combustion reactions are largely exothermic.
3. Bunsen Burner: Parts, Function & Diagram
Mastery of the Bunsen burner is a major milestone for any science student. Learn the parts of the Bunsen burner, understand its function and be able to interpret a diagram of science's most famous burner.
4. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
5. Thermal Decomposition Reactions: Definition & Equation
Thermal energy can be used to physically and chemically change substances. In this lesson, we will go through decomposition reactions that are generated by heating various substances.
6. What is Oxidation? - Definition, Process & Examples
In this lesson, learn about oxidation and its process, and examine some examples of oxidation, including the mystery of browning fruit. Then, measure what you've learned with a quiz.
7. Tests for Identifying Common Gases
Have a mystery gas you need to identify? You have come to the right place. This lesson discusses the tests needed to identify hydrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and chlorine gas.
8. Single-Displacement Reaction: Definition & Examples
There are so many chemical reactions that occur around us that we classify them into different types. In this lesson, we will discuss single-displacement reactions, one of the main types of chemical reactions.
9. Using Carbon to Extract Metals
How do we get metal from its natural form? We'll talk about using carbon in oxidation-reduction reactions for the smelting process, the metal activity series, and go over specific examples including lead, iron and aluminum.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Cells & Organization
- Overview of Nutrition
- Human Gas Exchange Systems
- Human Reproduction Overview
- Reproduction in Plants
- Outside Influences on Health
- Overview of Photosynthesis
- Overview of Cellular Respiration
- Relationships in an Ecosystem
- Variation & Classification
- The Particulate Nature of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & Compounds Basics
- Pure & Impure Substances
- Overview of Acids & Bases
- Energy Resources & Conservation
- Describing Motion
- Force, Rotation, Pressure & Density
- Sound Waves & Hearing
- Light Waves & Properties
- Basics of Circuits
- Magnetism & Electromagnets
- Physics of Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science Flashcards